Accessibility of eLearning (OpenLearn University)
This is a free, self-paced course. Learning outcomes include:
- discuss the main challenges facing disabled students with respect to eLearning.
- have an understanding of the types of technology used by disabled students.
- consider what adjustments you might make in creating eLearning materials to ensure they are accessible and usable.
- consider appropriate ways to evaluate the accessibility and usability of your eLearning materials.
This was a free, facilitated course. The materials in Canvas are been provided as a self-paced course. It was developed to help participants gain a better understanding of accessibility as a civil rights issue and develop the knowledge and skills needed to design learning experiences that promote inclusive learning environments.
Learning outcomes include:
- Recognize and address challenges faced by students with disabilities related to access, success, and completion.
- Articulate faculty and staff roles in reducing barriers for students with disabilities.
- Apply the principles of Universal Design for Learning (UDL) in designing accessible learning experiences.
- Analyze the benefits of Backward Design when developing learning experiences.
- Use Section 508 standards and WCAG 2.0 guidelines to create accessible courses.
- Determine which tools and techniques are appropriate based on course content.
Basics of Inclusive Design for Online Education (University of Colorado)
This free, facilitated course provides instruction and strategies to support you in developing a course that is inclusive to students with a wide range of abilities, including students with disabilities. The Coursera course covers effective practices to increase inclusion and avoid some of the common accessibility issues that can arise in an online course.
- Universal Design
- Accessible Documents
- Complex Images, Tables, Graphs
Online Accessibility Resource Documents (California Community Online Ed)
This free site has information about online accessibility, including self-guided tutorials and courses, files for workshop activities, webinars, presentations, and other resources related to accessibility and online education.
- Accessible MS Word Documents
- Accessible PDF Documents
- Accessible PowerPoint Presentations
- Accessible Excel Spreadsheets
- Web Accessibility