Individual Reflection about the Technology Competency Challenge In…

Individual Reflection about the Technology Competency Challenge

In a minimum of 200 words, reflect about your experience in the Technology Competency Challenge. What were the most important topics/issues you learned and skills you gained in becoming technologically competent? What did you learn about yourself and how would that be useful in your future? What did you learn about working in teams? What helped your team to be successful? What advice would you give someone in becoming technologically competent?

I. What were the most important topics/issues you learned and skills you gained in becoming technologically competent?

As an older student returning to the College or the school environment, I learned computer competency is essential at home, at school and at work. I bought my first laptop in August in preparation for this semester. I attended school from 1985 – 1996 at a fairly large Institution (Kent State University) and never owned and rarely needed the use of a computer. I have always worked middle to upper management in the Warehouse and Distribution world and was aware of the evolution of its use within that environment but the computer stayed at work. My competency up to this point was self-taught as a matter of survival in the business world. I was quite pleased at the level I achieved. I feel even with this class I am still behind but in a lot better shape. I feel the “kids” raised with hands on computer education in elementary school and growing up in the app (phones) environment are at a tremendous advantage. Especially with Windows 8 (idea for your class) indicating what direction operating systems are headed. I checked it out and I definitely don’t like it, but I have been known to resist change.

Specific topics helpful and skills gained:

Windows and Word brush up. Excel information and training was even more beneficial and I gained a lot of information on Access. I had very limited knowledge (Access) up to this point, just man- handled Excel in past where Access would have been the program to use.
Whole new world for me regarding the Community Wall and Blogging. Definitely more knowledge on Social Media as a whole. Still no Facebook but getting closer to take the jump.
Collaborative software, especially Google Docs, How did I function in the business world without it?
How to obtain, determine and the importance of credible information on the Internet.

II. What did you learn about yourself and how would that be useful in your future?

Mainly that I have more creativity and patients than I ever thought I possessed. Attributes that I never thought I had or could use to my advantage.

III. What did you learn about working in teams?

To be perfectly honest, pretty much nothing. It went pretty much as I would suspect. In the late 80’s and 90’s, because of my employment, I participated and facilitated numerous team-building and team dynamic classes, seminars, workshops, programs, weekends, etc. Along with quality programs these two were always the buzz-words and hot topics of the time. I have served in pretty much every capacity regarding teams. It was still interesting participating in our team development, plus I got to meet some cool people.

IV. What helped your team to be successful?

Good people with a good work ethic, who had common sense and cared about their work. It has been my experience that it’s difficult, and in most cases impossible, to train common sense or to have someone take pride in their work. They either got or they don’t. I was lucky, mine teammates had it.

V. What advice would you give someone in becoming technologically competent?

Understand exactly what your needs are regarding the technology and then continuing to stay current, informed and trained regarding the appropriate aspects of the technology. Make it fun and enjoyable for yourself so it’s easy to stay motivated.

4 thoughts on “Individual Reflection about the Technology Competency Challenge In…

1. Hi Angus,

It’s really great to see that you want to keep up with technology. “Understand exactly what your needs are regarding the technology.” This is a good way to filter what you really need to know for yourself. I grew up with the hands on learning with computers and I do feel at an advantage. In elementary school, we were taught good habits regarding typing, using search engines and also utilizing software to do projects. After taking this course, would you recommend others to get “up to date” training using computers, new system software, applications, etc?

*Green hat
    Kiara

• Aloka Kiara,
      Thank you for the comment.
      I would definitely recommend continued training and for me the best place to start is BUS201.

2. I really liked you advice “Understand exactly what your needs are regarding the technology and then continuing to stay current, informed and trained regarding the appropriate aspects of the technology.” What do you feel are your needs and how do you plan to stay current? Other than work or school related what computer based stuff do you do for fun? How do you stay current with those activities ; ). Great job this semester btw on your artifacts and dilligence.
    “white hat” liz

• Aloha Superstar,
      Right now my needs are to get through BUS201. I feel it’s a great place to start continued training. As far as fun….and the computer-what’s that ? Pretty much all my use is for work, school or some kind of research. As I imagine for you, there is just not enough hours in the day right now for “compter” fun.
      Your the greatest and its’ been a real pleasure!