Team CES recognizes that we all rely on a computer. We use computers at home, for school researching or projects and at work. Although computers may connect you to information instantly, problems may arise if you are not doing anything to prevent attacks from unknown users or hackers. Atsuko focuses on the use of antivirus and antispyware software and explains how it works. Richard provides some insight on preventing identity theft and solving steps on what you can do if you happen to be a victim. Gina focuses on cybercrime – what it is and current events. Kiara gives us a quick guide on the types of malicious programs we may encounter and some quick tips on recognizing a computer problem related to virus attacks.
Please see our individual artifacts below along with short summaries of each.
How can we use free antivirus, antispyware software from reliable companies? How do they work? by Atsuko Hamano Microsoft Security Essentials
- Comprehensive protection
- Easy to get, easy to use
- Quiet Protection
McAfee Security Scan Plus
- Easily check my computer for anti-virus software, firewall protection and web security at no cost
- I don’t want my productivity to be interrupted during program installation and updates
- Quickly find out if my computer is at risk
- Detect threats in running processes and other temporary files
- Security Recommendations if my computer is at risk
- Customize scanning frequency
avast! Free Antivirus
- Visually appealing
- Good installation options
- Security improvements
Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac Home Edition
- Full protection from viruses, Trojans and worms
- Stops all threats, familiar and unfamiliar
- Quarantines and removes the threats it finds
- Easy installation and painless maintenance
UH Computer Virus and Threat protection University of Hawaii (UH) Information Technology Services (ITS) provides software, services, and technical support to protect the UH community against computer viruses and security threats.
- McAfee Anti-virus Software at UH
- UH Virus and Security Alert Email Notification
Link to Atsuko’s Artifact
How to prevent identity theft? Richard Laparejo
- Effects of identity theft
- What to do when you are a victim?
Link to Richard’s Artifact
With technology advancement also comes the advance in cybercrime. People in the world are always looking how to steal funds. identities, and information from the every-day computer user, companies use hackers to try to gain information from other competitors, and others simply want to destroy systems with device-destroying viruses. While there are thousands of different types of viruses, rogue programs, and various ways to attack the computer user I have created an overview of the main types of crimes we all face on a daily basis. Please review this spreadsheet in its entirety (please see all tabs) to understand more about Cybercrime, how many people it affects, and how you can limit your vulnerability. What are the different types of Cybercrime and how can you protect yourself from these types of attacks?
- Definition of Cybercrime
- Types of Cybercrime
- Latest News in Cybercrime
- Cybercrime Statistics
- What can you do to be more secure and protect your computer?
Link to Gina’s Artifact
Malicious Programs How do viruses and spyware work? How do they infiltrate your computer? What symptoms and signs appear when you have an infected computer? Kiara Pascual
- Types and definitions – Table
- Computer virus
- Rogue security software
- Trojan horse
- What is malware?
- How can a computer get infected?
- Suspicious e-mail?
- Link to another source of information
- “How to Know If Your Computer is Infected with a Virus”
Link to Kiara’s Artifact
Team Cutting Edge Support continues to provide useful information in order to protect your computer and yourself. By researching and collecting information from the best sources and using our experience with the subject, we are able to share our knowledge along with others. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Team CES is willing to assist you in anyway possible. Hope to hear from you!