Agenda December 1, 2014

Call to Order
(December 1, 2014)

Approval of the Minutes

  • Recognition of secretary for Dec. 1, 2014 – Karim Khan
  • Appreciation for secretary from Oct. 27, 2014 – Warren Kawano
  • Review unapproved minutes.

Reports

Old Business

  • (is this still valid?) Hiring Committee ( Google Doc )  – List of DE Questions
    https://docs.google.com/a/hawaii.edu/document/d/1SuKnKvZCsktNAbnN4_jgReW50dClRJ1SXMogbXxAWrI/edit

  • (is this still valid?) Hiring Committees for Distance Education Instructional Positions- Have a list of recommended online DE instructors sent to HR who are available to be on interview committees for positions that are DE related. (Added in Oct. 30)
  • Update (Greg Walker) Distance Education Peer Eval w/ IOTA rubric supplement  ( https://drive.google.com/drive/#folders/0B404duDDRhFgNjZkZWQ5YWYtZTVhYS00OWM4LTliOTktNTIxYjM1MjFlZDVm ) -

  • Update DE Faculty Survey  (Dalybeth and Daniela)- Create a one question survey to get feedback from DE faculty to be given at the end of the year.

  • Update has the global question been replaced? (Greg)  Changes made for next semester?
    Replacing the global question in eCafe with Fall DE committee approve new mandatory question. “The instructor provided meaningful and regular interaction and opportunities for students to interact with each other.” (Greg, Rachael)

New Business

  • Guest: Pete Gross and Helmut Kae (Assessment)   Will be checking in on progress of DE committee toward AIP (Actionable Improvement Plan) Midterm Assessment Report

    “The Faculty Senate and the Distance Education Committee will review the current process for evaluation of online and face-to-face courses and make recommendations to the vice chancellor of academic affairs to ensure comparable student learning in both delivery modes by spring of 2013. (II.A.1.b., II.A.2.d. and II.A.2.e. ) “

  • Guest item: FACULTY SENATE ByLaws – on behalf of Eiko –  The Faculty Senate Ad-Hoc committee on Charter and ByLaws would like the DE committee to provide input on any changes that you would think could make the Distance Education Committee better.  For example, any thoughts on altering the structure or membership make-up or duties or whatever.  Article III (overview of standing committees) and Article IV, Sec. 10 (your committee only) for your review.*Article IV, Sec. 10 Distance Education Committee, is new, we just submitted it this semester, but any comments or feedback on Article III (overview of standing committees)?

Announcements

  • Be thinking of someone to nominate for the IOTA award.

Adjournment next meeting: January 12 (Monday at 3-4 PM)

AY 2014-2015 Distance Education Committee Meetings:

  • 2014:  9/29, 10/27, 11/10, 12/1
  • 2015:  1/12, 2/9, 3/9, 4/13

Agenda October 27, 2014

Call to Order
(Oct. 27, 2014)

Approval of the Minutes

  • Recognition of secretary for Oct. 27, 2014 – Warren Kawano
  • Appreciation for secretary from Sept. 29, 2014 – Carina Chernisky
  • Review unapproved minutes.

Reports

  • Faculty Senate Chair -Momi Kamahele  called a meeting of FS Standing Committee Chairs.
  • The senate chair is a member of all standing committees.  As such she may be attending our committee meetings.
  • President Lassner visiting campus this Friday, any questions from our DE committee for the FS Exec. Committee to consider asking?  Open Campus meeting in the ED Bldg. Lecture Hall at 3:00pm.

Old Business

  • Replacing the global question in eCafe with Fall DE committee approve new mandatory question. “The instructor provided meaningful and regular interaction and opportunities for students to interact with each other.” (Greg, Rachael)

  • Draft of steps to use IOTA award rubric to be used by DE teachers as a guide/supporting document when evaluating their DE peers. (Greg)

  • DE Faculty Survey-  Each person share their top 10 student survey questions to be used for the faculty survey.  Include one qualitative question for the faculty survey. (All)

New Business

  • Revising IOTA video process
  • Hiring Committees for Distance Education Instructional Positions- goal of adding a DE instructor to every DE position hiring process.

Announcements

  • Be thinking of someone to nominate for the IOTA award.
  • Next meeting November 10?

Adjournment next meeting: November 10 (Monday at 3-4 PM)

AY 2014-2015 Distance Education Committee Meetings:

  • 2014:  9/29, 10/27, 11/10, 12/1
  • 2015:  1/12, 2/9, 3/9, 4/13

Agenda September 29, 2014

Call to Order
(Sept. 29, 2014)

  • Welcome new members:
    • Daniela Dutra Elliott (Math and Sciences)
    • Dalybeth Reasoner (Social Sciences)

Approval of the Minutes 

  • Election for secretary.

Reports

  • Distance Education Committee is now a standing committee of the Faculty Senate.

Old Business

  • eCafe- Discuss possibility of adding an additional mandatory question

New Business

  • Peer evals- Discuss idea of using the Innovative Online Teaching Award (IOTA) rubric as a pre-planning support document  prior to completing a DE Peer Eval.
  • DE Faculty Survey- Discuss creation of a DE faculty survey (based on DE student survey) to gather longitudinal data.

Announcements

Adjournment next meeting: October 27 (Monday at 3-4 PM)
AY 2014-2015 Distance Education Committee Meetings:

  • 2014:  10/27, 11/10, 12/1
  • 2015:  1/12, 2/9, 3/9, 4/13

Approved Minutes December 9, 2013

Called to order 3:10 pm

Present: Brent Hirata, Carina Chernisky, Christian Ganne, Greg Walker, Heather Takamatsu, Helmut Kae, Michelle Igarashi, Rachael Inake, Melanie Van der Tuin, Susan Waldman, Warren Kawano

Helmut started the meeting, stating that Corey Adler from Social Sciences will be joining the Committee in the spring. At that point, all academic divisions will be represented.Minutes of the November 18 meeting were approved. Greg will post them to the Committee site. Discussion began with the agenda. It was noted that agenda item #3- eat, should be moved to number 1. Upon approval, the eating commenced.The next agenda item was final discussion of the student satisfaction survey. The numerous edits and long hours were gratefully accepted and the survey was approved for release to this semester’s students in its current, much revised version.  Thank you to all who worked so hard via lengthy emails to get this work done.

 The remaining agenda item was conversion of the DE Committee from an ad hoc Faculty Senate committee to a standing Faculty Senate (FS) committee.  To do this, the DE Committee needs to be included in the FS by-laws. Helmut stated that he had heard that the Senate will be completing its by-law revision work in Spring 14.

 Helmut offered a brief history of the process: during the recent Accreditation process, the College was informed that the current DE committee, under the charge of the VCAA’s office, needed to more closely work or be under the aegis of the Faculty Senate. Accordingly, a faculty member (Helmut) became the Committee’s chair, the Committee became a FS ad hoc committee, and Helmut began participating in Faculty Senate. After two years as an ad hoc committee, FS ad hoc committees must become “standard” committees, necessitating a change in the Senate by-laws.

The Committee decided to table discussion of the differences between the DE charge from the VCAA’s office and the proposed by-law changes drafted by Paul Lococo, of the FS.  Committee members expressed concerns over wording, committee composition, and responsibilities.  Ultimately, it was decided to review the two documents during the spring and draft a version of the FS by-laws that more closely matches the current committee charge.  (In Google Drive: Review of Faculty Senate By-Laws)

As part of the discussion, Greg mentioned that he would need to check with the VCAA’s office regarding funds for the Laulima Innovation Award and see if the VCAA still wanted to fund the award. That opened discussion of the need to change the name and eligibility for that award.  Typically, there have been a lack of submissions, which seemingly resulted last year in many submissions that were not online courses, but rather f2f courses that used a lot of online tools, including Laulima.  The Committee discussed changing the award’s name and eligibility, as well as the requirement for the use of 3 Laulima tools and the status of “hybrid” courses at Leeward.

Current name, purpose, and eligibility- http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/emc/laulima-award

Outstanding Teaching with Laulima Innovation Award

The resulting change suggestions were:

·       Eligibility: any faculty or lecturer who teaches an online course at Leeward CC.  Online courses are designated as such by the room designation of “WWW” in the course schedule, and/or inclusion in the UH Distance Learning course listing available to students (http://www.hawaii.edu/dl/courses/index.php).  (Any faculty or lecturer previously nominated may be re-nominated provided the faculty or lecturer has not been chosen as a recipient of this award within the last five 5 years.)  (can Brent apply?)

·       A minimum of three (3) Laulima tools must be included in the course (e.g,Gradebook, Sylllabus, Announcements) The nominated course must be innovative in its use of technology for online instruction. (my suggestion-sw)

Name of the award suggestions- to be voted on by the Committee via a Google Form:

·    Outstanding Teaching Online Innovation Award

·    Outstanding Online Teaching Innovation Award

·    Innovative Online Teaching Award

·    Outstanding Online Teaching Award

·    Outstanding Online Educator Award (does this imply student input?)

·    Online Teaching Innovation Award

Discussion of the name change must be resolved before the February 10 meeting to allow for time to disseminate the new title.  It was not clear if new eligibility requirements were also needed before that meeting. It was also not clear if the VCAA’s office will continue to fund this award if the Committee moves to the Faculty Senate.

Should we also add a caveat that the award may be canceled if there is a lack of interest in a particular year?

Enjoyment of sweets and sushi continued!

Meeting adjourned at 3:45pm.  Next meeting is Monday, February 10, 2014, 3pm.

Agenda February 10, 2014

Agenda:

  1. Approval of Minutes from last meeting (Thanks Susan) https://docs.google.com/a/hawaii.edu/document/d/1w9-ZgbWy7s-3GpgQvdldBtuTjBmi6Nly9T2Za8p31-g/edit
  2. We will discuss the results of the student survey that we worked so hard at.  If we could all review it prior to the meeting, that would be nice.  http://www.surveyshare.com/survey/external/results?key=AYAGB2B
  3.  We need to come up with the official name of our DE award.  I’ll share the results of the survey we took last semester.  We will also discuss how to advertise.
    1. The intent of this award is to highlight examples of educational applications which fall into this innovative or transformative category.
      1. 10 voted. results:
        Outstanding Teaching Online Innovation Award 0 0%
        Outstanding Online Teaching Innovation Award 0 0%
        Innovative Online Teaching Award 3 30%
        Outstanding Online Teaching Award 1 10%
        Outstanding Online Educator Award 1 10%
        Online Teaching Innovation Award 2 20%
        Excellence in Online Teaching Award 3 30%
  4. Laulima Award documents
  5. Advertised by email to all DE faculty and in the Bulletin -Calendar Events. Plus word of mouth. It is best when Committee members ask faculty to apply.
  • We also need to finalize the faculty senate by-laws.  I’d like to have something final by next month.

Formal agenda:

https://docs.google.com/a/hawaii.edu/document/d/1mnOMdlFVkFYsvFPSJItaa8lH_NpD8rYMhQau-HqTTfA/edit

 

Approved Minutes November 18, 2013

Present: Brent Hirata, Carina Chernisky, Christian Ganne, Greg Walker, Heather Takamatsu, Helmut Kae, Karim Khan, Michelle Igarashi, Rachael Inake, Susan Waldman, Warren Kawano

  1. Called to order 3:05 pm
  2. Introduction of new members. Helmut opened the meeting by introducing new members Karim (A&H) and Christian (PA &T), who were invited to join so that all academic divisions would have representation on the committee.  Helmut was waiting to hear back from SS for a representative.
  3. Minutes from the previous meeting (10/21/13) were reviewed and approved with no corrections.  Greg will post and share those minutes with the committee.
  4. DE Student Survey
    • Discussion of the student survey continued.  In brief: after classes end each semester, Greg sends out a survey to all DE students. It is meant to determine whether classes are aligned with DE guidelines. The survey was designed for a single class and the committee has been working to revise it to include multiple classes and to have more student-accessible language.  The survey was under committee review for much of the previous academic year.  At the previous meeting, the committee decided to change the responses to a likert scale that denoted frequency, rather than agreement, (always, often, sometimes, rarely, never).
    • Carina suggested a change in ordering of the questions to more closely align similar questions.  It was agreed that the survey would be closely reviewed by all members via email in hopes of gaining final committee approval for the end of this semester.  (A link was subsequently sent to the committee and a vigorous review took place that resulted in multiple edits.)
  5. Peer Evaluation Process for DE Courses
    • The next agenda item was the proposed communication with faculty who are teaching DE courses by their respective division chairs to encourage regular peer review of distance courses.  Helmut approached the various division chairs and other committee members approached those he had not been able to make contact with. (see email to chairs from 10/21).  Helmut had asked the division chairs to communicate with the faculty during service week of Spring 14.  DE members can also help to communicate to faculty about the option of having a DE committee member perform the review, if needed.  The point is to maintain high quality distance education and make sure that de courses are reviewed as regularly as f2f courses.  The DE peer evaluation form is available on the DE website  (http://blogs.leeward.hawaii.edu/iteach/) (Leeward intranet: Distance Education: iTeach)
  6. Faculty Senate
    • Helmut then moved to the committee’s standing with the Faculty Senate.  DE Committee is currently an ad hoc Faculty Senate committee and it has been suggested that this change to a standing committee.  In order to do so, the Faculty Senate by-laws need to be changed (functions and membership- see Agenda for 11/18).  The committee became an ad hoc Faculty Senate committee for accreditation. Discussion ensued on comparing the original charge for the DE committee (http://blogs.leeward.hawaii.edu/decommittee/about/) to the Senate rules for committees. Helmut will paste the charters side by side to compare and compress.  Membership makeup was discussed: should include faculty with DE teaching experience, at least one non-faculty member, perhaps include the DE coordinator.  The question was asked about the presence of a Faculty Senate member on the DE committee, since membership in Faculty Senate changes.  If the current FS representative leaves the FS, the Senate will appoint a FS member to chair the DE committee.
  7. Committee Registration
    • In addition, the question was raised as to whether or not the committee was registered. Karim agreed to check this out. (Subsequent email stated that registration is only needed for system-wide committees. However, Karim also found that monies can be obtained from Leeward’s student government if committee activities are geared toward students. In order to do that, the committee would need to register with student government.)
  8. Professional Development
    • Finally, there was discussion of additions to the iTeach page in the distance education area of the intranet to include professional development plans for contract renewals and tenure documents.  For faculty who are new to distance education, the best option is to send them to Greg.

Agenda November 18, 2013

  1. Approval of Minutes
  2. Discuss systematic student evaluation of DE courses
    1. Survey preview
    2. Additions
      1. Introductory statement informing students of purpose of survey, and what to do in the event of multiple courses – “This survey is to capture a snapshot of the students’ perception of online courses on campus.  We understand that students may take multiple online classes; please give your answer as to how you feel about the general state of online classes at Leeward CC.”
      2. Change all the responses to “Always, Most, sometimes, never” instead of the “Strongly agree,
  3. Discuss peer evaluation of DE courses
  4. Conversion of DE Committee from ad hoc to standing committee

Amendment to Article IV.10 Distance Education Committee

A. Functions

  1. Serve as the primary voice of the faculty senate concerning Distance Education on the Leeward CC campus;
  2. Ensure that DE is assessed annually using approved assessment methods, under the control of faculty;
  3. Work with faculty teaching DE to recommend actions and/or support designed to ensure quality of DE courses is equal to face-to-face courses;
  4. Review the Leeward CC Distance Education program from the viewpoint of faculty and make recommendations to the Faculty Senate.

B. Membership

  1. The Committee Chair is a Faculty Senator, appointed in accordance with ByLaws;
  2. Members should be faculty with experience teaching a DE course;
  3. At least 0ne non-faculty involved in the Leeward CC DE program (e.g. APT, Administration, etc);

Approved Minutes October 21, 2013

  1. Discuss systematic student evaluation of DE courses: DE Guidelines in student terms
    • How do we deal with multiple classes? Greg states that in the past, no matter what, multiple courses = muddled data.Multiple surveys per class? Who will take it more than once? – hard enough to get students to do it once
    • What is the purpose of the eval? What do we want to learn from the data? Are teachers using the guidelines? To align with accreditation. Evaluate DE as a whole. If you look at students’ perception of DE at LCC, longtitudinal data can measure how we are doing. Perhaps? Introductory statement informing students of purpose of survey, and what to do in the event of multiple courses – “This survey is to capture a snapshot of the students’ perception of online courses on campus.  We understand that students may take multiple online classes; please give your answer as to how you feel about the general state of online classes at Leeward CC.” How does this sound? Change all the responses to “Always, Most, sometimes, never” instead of the “Strongly agree, etc…” that it currently is now.
    • Tabled for now
  2. Discuss Peer evaluation of DE courses, and progress of communication with Div Chairs
    • Helmut sent out email to Div Chairs looking for preliminary approval of process (for email sent, see below).  One responded. In personally talking to one Div Chair, they seemed receptive to the idea, no major glaring issues One minor recommendation to the evaluation form – clearly indicate that evaluator must be given access to Laulima course and act as student for some time. Helmut will talk to other Div chairs in person or over phone, and bring up this topic at faculty senate this week. The idea is to have this process ready for “launch” in January when the Div Chairs can bring this up at their division meetings:
    • Email sent out to Div Chairs:Hello Division Chairs

      The DE Committee, an ad hoc committee of the Faculty Senate, has been discussing how to maintain a high level of quality amongst the DE courses that we are offering on campus.  Piggy backing off the small kine discussion we had at the end of the last academic year (included below, just in case you don’t remember where we left off), we have created a process that involves asking all DE faculty to have their courses peer evaluated on a regular basis.  The following is a draft for your perusal: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1faKp0_l4_Ss3I-iy1VuweffHwfqbVdTW0uIdN87jNNk/pub

      The question we’d like to ask you is, are you willing to support such a process?  (I hesitate to use the word “policy”)  Would you pass this on to the faculty in your division and ask them to include their DE courses as a part of their regular peer evaluation cycle?  If you don’t like what we’ve written, are there any changes you’d like to see?

      I guess that’s three questions.  Any feedback you can provide us would be greatly appreciated.  We are trying to focus on our goal of ensuring that our students taking DE courses are receiving a high level of quality.  We feel that this process is the least intrusive of any of our solutions, and doesn’t differ from the process we use to maintain a high level of teaching for our face-to-face classes.  In fact, this process is no different from the peer evaluation process; the only thing we ask faculty to do is to include their DE courses when asking for peer evaluations.  We know that many faculty already do this.  It would be nice if all of them did.

Approved Minutes September 23, 2013

Attendees: Brent Hirata, Rachael Inake, Carina Chemisky, Susan Waldman, Warren Kawano, Helmu Kae, Michelle Igarashi, Greg Walker, Blanca Polo

  1. Develop a systematic evaluation of online courses for effectiveness in meeting student needs and providing identical student learning outcomes as face‐to‐face courses.
    1. Last year, worked on updating student survey
    2. We need to have survey ready in Fall 2013 for implementation in Spring 2014. We will review Google Doc “DE Guidelines Written in Student Terms.”
      1. Issue: multiple classes, how will students assess each class separately.
        • Need second layer of ID so students can do individual evals/class.
        • Greg already has 5-6 years of surveys; he would like to align prior surveys with what we are developing now. He will review and discuss at next meeting.
        • Presently, we have two surveys: eCafe-course specific and a general survey for Leeward DE courses. What are the differences? Similarities?
    3. Web Posted Survey and Questions -open for accreditors and “world” – transparency in education
        • Goal: student data which informs instructors are to what they are successfully doing, areas for improvement, and what they should be doing.
        • Inform DE instructors of course effectiveness.
        • Results not edited before posted online.
        • Power of survey: students voice course evaluation not administrators
    4. In conjunction with the Curriculum Committee, develop standards, criteria, and evaluation tools for evaluating the quality of online courses.
      1. System to peer evaluate
      2. Implementation necessary so will be DE not correspondence course
        • Approval process to run online courses?
        • DE peer eval part of evaluation process (once every two years=part of rotation)
        • Helmut will look over Google Doc “Peer Evaluation Process for DE Courses Taught” and discuss with DCs at AC meeting
  2. Eventually change name of Laulima Innovation award to something else.  It’s way low priority as we won’t advertise until the Spring, but something to think about.
    1. We must articulate if hybrid courses count.
    2. Clarify criteria ASAP

Agenda September 23, 2013

  1. Develop a systematic evaluation of online courses for effectiveness in meeting student needs and providing identical student learning outcomes as face‐to‐face courses.
  2. In conjunction with the Curriculum Committee, develop standards, criteria, and evaluation tools for evaluating the quality of online courses.

Approved Minutes April 15, 2013

Attending

Greg Walker, Heather, Takamatsu, Susan Waldman, Michelle Igarashi, Melanie Van der Tuin, Helmut Kae, Michael Cawdery, Brent Hirata, Rachael Inake, Blanca Polo

Meeting called to order at 3:05 PM.

Peer Evaluation Process for DE Courses

The DE Committee reviewed the Peer Evaluation Process for DE Courses Taught, discussed, and made edits to the doc together to finalize it. Would there be anymore DE Peer Evaluators volunteering to put their names down? Should we keep the DE Guidelines in the document for reference? It was mentioned that we should discuss firming up the DE Guidelines next semester and making it more known to the campus, like posting it in the e-bulletin. Once fully completed (possibly after the DE Guidelines are finalized) it is planned to have this doc given to the Division Chairs and ask for them to send to their faculty and lecturers.

Laulima Award 2013

The DE Committee discussed a meeting date/time to review the five Laulima Award submissions. We will all review the video submissions, evaluate each based on the Laulima Award evaluation criteria rubric, and meet on Wednesday, April 24, 2013 at 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM in LC-108A to discuss our evaluations to select a winner. Then, letters will need to be written up for the winner and runner-ups. Rachael created Google Documents in a shared Google folder for each Laulima Award applicant to compile everyone’s evaluations based on the rubric. Also included in the shared folder are letters from last year to use as a template for this year’s letters.

Announcements & Adjournment

This was the last official meeting of the spring 2013 semester. Date and time for fall 2013 semester’s meeting will be announced via email.

The DE Committee will meet for a special meeting on Wednesday, April 24, 2013 at 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM in LC-108A to discuss the Laulima Award 2013 winner.

The meeting adjourned at 4:00 PM.

Approved Minutes February 25, 2013

Attendance: Greg Walker, Helmut Kae, Rachael Inake, Chris Matz, Michelle Igarashi, and Heather Takamatsu

  1. Update on Student Friendly Wording of DE Guidelines
    • Unfortunately, Melanie was unable to attend, thus discussion was postponed until next DE meeting on March 18th.
  2. Update on Division Chair Request for DE Course Access
    • Helmut emailed Division Chairs inquiring about the purpose and function of the proposed DE class evaluations.
    • DCs would like DE classes evaluated like face-to-face classes, per Division guidelines at least once a year, as one Chair remarked, “to ensure we are doing the best we can for students.”
    • According to DCs, this evaluation would focus on “probationary faculty” members albeit DE Committee members were unsure as to how to define this term.
    • Questions also remain if DCs would like each course every instructor teaches to be evaluated per year or each DE instructor evaluated per year.
    • This would be a peer as opposed to top-down chairperson evaluation. Evaluators would be selected from instructors with DE experience. Helmut suggested the committee devise a list of committee members who could serve as evaluators.
    • Greg brought up the Quality Matters survey, but Helmut stated it was too long. The committee is looking for a short, concise document that divisions could easily apply.
    • While divisions would be free to use own criteria and forms, Greg will draft a set of 3-4 bulleted DE guidelines and post them to Google Drive for committee perusal. We will discuss suggestions at the next meeting. Keep in mind we will be making recommendations not policy. The point is to bring DE courses in line with face-to-face ones in regards to peer evaluations.
  3. Evaluating Laulima Innovation Award Nominees
    • So far, Greg has received one (1) application.
    • During the Laulima Show and Tell section of Professional Development day, Helmut will make a pitch for more applicants.
    • Applications due Friday, 3/22 at 4:00PM to Chancellor’s office. Those interested need only fill in form, available at LCC’s website. We will spend the two weeks following Spring Break to view and evaluate submissions (each video approximately 2 minutes in length). Please do this on your own, then we will meet as a committee before the end of the term to discuss applications and select a winner. At the next DE meeting, we will receive an update on applicants.
  4. Next meeting: March 18th at 3PM—same time, same place, same bat channel.

Approved Minutes January 28, 2013

Attendance: Michelle Igarashi,  Susan Waldman, Warren Kawano, Greg Walker, Michael Cawdery, Helmut Kae, Blanca Polo, Rachael Inake, Brent Hirata

  1. Actions:
    1. Collaboratively worked on re-wording and revising DE Guidelines in student terms (Google Doc).
    2. Assessment Guidelines – Completed revision
    3. Interaction & Collaboration Guidelines – Completed revisionFuture: Melanie volunteered to review the Google document from the perspective of ENG 19 students.
  2. It was mentioned that the Laulima Award had been announced and we need to focus on what needs to be done to evaluated submissions this year.
  3. Helmut is going to email the div chairs regarding their request to obtain access to all online courses.

Approved Minutes December 10, 2012

  1. DE Guidelines
    1. Decision made to revise the DE guidelines into student friendly language
    2. Connect student friendly language to DE guidelines for faculty to relate student questions to actual guidelines.
    3. DE guidelines were taken from “quality matters.”
    4. Greg: DE guidelines have been put in a Google doc for committee members to make comments to translate them using student friendly terminology. Greg will look over comments before the next meeting (Monday, January 28).
    5. Based on the revised student friendly terminology, develop questions for the DE survey.
  2.  Division chairs want to have access to DE courses (Laulima). Helmut will research this issue and bring back more information at the next DE committee meeting.

Approved Minutes November 26, 2012

The DE committee is now a senate ad hoc committee. The Committee will report to the  Faculty Senate and to Mike Pecksok.

The DE Committee no longer has subcommittees.

Student satisfaction survey.

  • How to get survey replies and turn them into recommendations for DE faculty.
  • Best practices and recommendations based on student responses.
  • Helmut reviewed the student survey and found course organization and communication as two notable topics.Students are usually satisfied, if they know what and how to do the work and if they can contact the instructor if they need help.
  • We need to map the guidelines to student survey responses.
  • Look for trends in the responses.
  • Ask for a composite view of their experience. Zero in into the things that we need to work well.
  • Do we send the survey now or next semester?
  • Decide on the way the survey is worded now. Examples:
    • How did the class go for you?
    • What do you feel it is important to you?
    • What are the problems and what are the good things?
    • Conduct and interview focus group with DE students.
  • A Google Doc was created to review and comment on the current student survey questions by the next meeting.

Division chairs want to be able to access online courses.

  • Provide them with guidelines so they know what they are looking for and assess DE courses.
  • Helmut commented that there are issues with people that do not want others in their online classes.

Faculty involvement with Distance Education

  • Division Chairs De Course evaluations
  • Rubric to help Division Chairs evaluate DE courses
  • weekly email of best practices/recommendations

Agenda November 26, 2012

  1. Call to order
  2. Approval of Minutes
  3. Rotate Secretary
  4. Suggest recommendations and provide language to Division Chairs and  DE faculty on 10 recommendations for online instruction.
    1. Before the meeting each person reviews the;
      1. DE guidelines,
      2. 16 ecafe questions.
    2. Determine top recommendations based on student quotes from the Student DE survey.
      1. Helmut volunteered to go through the survey and pull the student quotes to back the recommendations.
  5. Map the guidelines to the student survey responses to the ecafe questions–> to produce the recommendations

Approved Minutes October 29, 2012

  1. Call to order.
  2. Rotating Secretary
  3. Leeward DE Strategic Plan (Through continual evaluation, improve the quality of distance educations) and determine a process to make recommendations to the Vice Chancellor.
    1. The Committee will create a recommendation to tie into the systematic evaluation for course assessment that is already in place for course assessment for f2f and online courses.
    2. The Committee recommended developing a process to easily evaluate (rubric) an online course.
    3. Should we recommend online courses should be recommended every x year?
    4. Should we recommend the people who are doing peer evals for online course already have experience teaching online?
  4. Student Survey Results-Improving Distance Courses at LCC- Spring 2012
    1. Review Survey. Come with 5 positives and 5 problems each to discuss at next meeting.
      1. One suggestion was to identify universal problems in all courses. EMC can put together media that address problems.
    2. Committee will use results from students responses to create a list of to-dos for both the instructor and students. This will reinforce the things that are working in our current practices as online instructors, and will encourage our students to be aware of common challenges with online learning.
    3. Analysis of the survey will also be used to make recommendations to the Vice Chancellor.
  5. Craft a recommendation to tie into the systematic evaluation for course assessment that is already in place for course assessment for f2f and online courses.
  6. New Business
    1. Faculty Senate DE Committee
  7. Announcements

Agenda October 29, 2012

  1. Call to order
  2. Approval of Minutes
  3. Rotating Secretary
  4. Leeward DE Strategic Plan (Through continual evaluation, improve the quality of distance educations) and  determine a process to make recommendations to the Vice Chancellor.
    1. The Committee will create a recommendation to tie into the systematic evaluation for course assessment that is already in place for course assessment for f2f and online courses.
    2. The Committee recommended developing a process to easily evaluate (rubic) an online course.
    3. Should we recommend online courses should be recommended every x year?
    4. Should we recommend the people who are doing peer evals for online course already have experience teaching online?
  5. Student Survey Results-Improving Distance Courses at LCC- Spring 2012
    1. Review Survey. Come with 5 positives and 5 problems each to discuss at next meeting.
      1. One suggestion was to identify universal problems in all courses. EMC can put together media that address problems.
    2. Committee will use results from students responses to create a list of to-dos for both the instructor and students. This will reinforce the things that are working in our current practices as online instructors, and will encourage our students to be aware of common challenges with online learning.
    3. Analysis of the survey will also be used to make recommendations to the Vice Chancellor.
  6. Craft a recommendation to tie into the systematic evaluation for course assessment that is already in place for course assessment for f2f and online courses.
  7. New Business
    1. Faculty Senate DE Commitee
  8. Announcements

Approved Minutes October 1, 2012

Attendees: Greg Walker, Blanca Polo, Leanne Chun, Warren Kawano, Michael Cawdery, Susan Waldman, Chris Matz

  1. DE Secretary – will be done jointly through Google Docs by people who are in attendance
  2. Review Goal #1 bullet points of the Leeward DE Strategic Plan (Through continual evaluation, improve the quality of distance educations) and determine a process to make recommendations to the Vice Chancellor.
    1. Through the DE Committee and in conjunction with Faculty Senate, develop a systematic evaluation of online courses for effectiveness in meeting student needs and providing identical student learning outcomes as face‐to‐face courses.
      1. Discussion centered around effectiveness, persistence rates, comparison between f2f evaluations process includes two main focal points: student learning outcomes and students needs for access and success
      2. The Committee will create a recommendation to tie into the systematic evaluation for course assessment that is already in place for course assessment for f2f and online courses.
    2. Through the DE Committee and in conjunction with the Curriculum Committee, develop standards, criteria, and evaluation tools for evaluating the quality of online courses.
      1. The Committee recommended developing a process to easily evaluate (rubic) an online course. Should we recommend online courses should be recommended every x year? Should we recommend the people who are doing peer evals for online course already have experience teaching online?
  3. Student Survey Results-Improving Distance Courses at LCC- Spring 2012To look at qualitative survey results and make recommendations.
    1. One suggestion was to identify universal problems in all courses. EMC can put together media that address problems.
    2. Committee will use results from students responses to create a list of to-dos for both the instructor and students. This will reinforce the things that are working in our current practices as online instructors, and will encourage our students to be aware of common challenges with online learning. This analysis of the survey will also be used to make recommendations to the Vice Chancellor.
  4. New Business
    1. Assignment: Review Survey. Come with 5 positives and 5 problems each to discuss at next meeting.
    2. Next meeting as a group, we will craft a recommendation to tie into the systematic evaluation for course assessment that is already in place for course assessment for f2f and online courses.
  5. Announcements

Agenda October 1, 2012

  1. Call to order
  2. Secretary for 2012-13 meetings.
  3. Review Goal #1 bullet points of the Leeward DE Strategic Plan (Through continual evaluation, improve the quality of distance educations) and  determine a process to make recommendations to the Vice Chancellor.
    • Through the DE Committee and in conjunction with Faculty Senate, develop a systematic evaluation of online courses for effectiveness in meeting student needs and providing identical student learning outcomes as face‐to‐face courses.
    • Through the DE Committee and in conjunction with the Curriculum Committee, develop standards, criteria, and evaluation tools for evaluating the quality of online courses.
  4. Student Survey Results-Improving Distance Courses at LCC- Spring 2012
  5. New Business
  6. Announcements

Approved Minutes for April 16, 2012

Attending: Bradley Ashburn, Michael Cawdery, Brent Hirata, Rachael Inake, Helmut Kae, Warren Kawano, Meredith Lee, Chris Matz, Heather Takamatsu, and Greg Walker (Chair)

I.     Call to Order

The meeting was called to order at 2:35 PM.

II.    Minutes

Minutes of the March 12, 2012 meeting were unanimously approved as written.

III.   Agenda Items

A. Creative Commons – Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0. This license allows others to share and remix under the conditions of attributing us, for noncommercial purposes, and share-alike. The Committee discussed using Creative Commons for work-for-hire artifacts, as a request from the Vice-Chancellor. Having the Creative Commons license on work-for-hire artifacts would replace the 50/50 ownership and allow the work to be free for anyone to remix, reuse, and repurpose. The Committee decided that there wasn’t enough understanding about work-for-hire. The question was raised about what would approving this mean to the College? Will there be more opportunities for work-for-hire to create DE courses under a Creative Commons license? This item was tabled.

B. Leeward CC DE Strategic Plan. Since the last meeting, the Leeward CC DE Strategic Plan draft was reviewed and commented on by the Committee members. Most comments were resolved quickly, and the Committee discussed the remaining questions/comments at the meeting:

  • Web-enhanced section didn’t fit in the scope of the DE plan so it was taken out.
  • The Committe was in favor of transforming the DE Committee to an official DE Standing Committee of Faculty Senate to support the growing need of DE at Leeward CC. This would make the DE Committee an official, recommending committee to the Faculty Senate, as the DE Standing Committee, giving the Committee more importance/weight in recommendations they would make for the College. The DE Committee Chair will work with the Faculty Senate Chair to amend the bylaws to make this happen. The DE Standing Committee Chair would be a DE faculty on the Committee and a senator on the Faculty Senate.
  • The Committee discussed the issue of assessment training for faculty so faculty are educated on how to evaluate a DE course. This was accepted with a modification of taking out the part about having a team of faculty with the Division Chair as part of the assessment team.

The Committee unanimously approved the draft (after disucssion and revisons), and will be passed along to the Faculty Senate for approval.

IV.   Assessment Sub-Committee

A. Outstanding Teaching with Laulima Innovation Award submissions. There are six videos to review using the rubric by April 30. A short write-up congratulating the winner needs to be written for Manny to use at the Awards ceremony. Letters with feedback for improvement need to be written up to give to the other applicants.

Assessment Sub-Committee’s ACTION ITEMS:

  • Evaluate the six video submissions for the Laulima Award using the rubric. Deadline is April 30.
  • Write the letter for the Laulima Award winner.
  • Write the five letters with feedback for improvement for the other Laulima Award applicants.
  • Brainstorm ideas for changing the Laulima Innovation Award and bring them to the next meeting. Re-brand the award to something like the “Outstanding Teaching w/ Innovation Award” to focus less on Laulima tools.

V.     Faculty Sub-Committee

A. DE educators community

B. Update Leeward CC’s DE Guidelines with Quality Matters and Chico State standards.

Faculty Sub-Committee’s ACTION ITEM: Create a recommended draft of an updated Leeward CC’s DE Guidelines by comparing it with Quality Matters and Chico State standards.

VI.   Student Sub-Committee

A. Faculty survey for DE student expectations. A survey is being made to find out from DE faculty how we can help DE students be better prepared for taking a DE course. Three questions were created by the sub-committee and discussed with the Committee. Edits were made on the Google Document.

Student Sub-Committee’s ACTION ITEM: Define items to put as checkboxes in question two and include a short paragraph about the purpose of the survey.

VII.  Unfinished Business

A. Should we have 10 or so mandatory questions for Leeward CC in eCafe?

VIII. New Business

A. The Chair will send out a Google Doc to gather ideas for topics on how to teach online for an upcoming workshop.

B. Next month’s meeting is the last meeting for the semester. It will be a potluck.

IX. Adjournment

The meeting adjourned at 3:30 PM.

The next DE Committee meeting is on Monday, May 7, 2012 at 2:30 PM – 3:30 PM in L-108. It will be a potluck.

Minutes respectfully submitted by Rachael I.

Agenda April 16, 2012

  1. Call to order
  2. Approval of Minutes
  3. Vote on Creative Commons license for all “work for hire” artifacts.
    1. Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0
      1. This license allows others to share and remix under the conditions of attributing us, for noncommercial purposes, and share-alike.
    2. Request from the Vice-Chancellor.
  4. Vote on approval of  the LCC DE Strategic Plan
  5. Subcommittee Spring 2012
    1. Assessment subcommittee
      1. Evaluate Outstanding Teaching w/ Laulima Innovation Award applicants.
      2. Use the rubric for evaluations
      3. Deadline Monday April 3oth.
    2. Faculty subcommittee
      1. Compare and update LCC DE Guidelines with Quality Matters andChico State standards for DE course review by individual, peer, administration.
      2. Build community for DE educators-ongoing
    3. Student subcommittee
      1. Create a list of faculty expectations (ask LCC faculty) of what students should be able to do before the take an online course. Faculty survey (draft).
      2. Create four videos (Youtube)and Use Facebook groups for classroom communication
        1. Is Online learning right for me?
        2. Laulima basics
        3. Who do I ask?
        4. FAQs
      3. Student Survey Results-Improving Distance Courses at LCC- Fall 2011
  6. Unfinished Business
  7. New Business
    1. How to teach online
    2. Final Meeting potluck
  8. Announcements

Approved Minutes March 12, 2012

Attending: Leanne Chun, Brent Hirata, Rachael Inake, Warren Kawano, Chris Matz, Heather Takamatsu,  Susan Waldman and Greg Walker (Chair)

I.     Call to Order

The meeting was called to order at 2:40 PM.

II.    Minutes

Minutes of the February 13, 2012 meeting were unanimously approved as written.

III.   Agenda Items

A. eCafe. eCafe is now open so you can go in and setup your evaluations. There is one mandatory question (i.e. Global Appraisal question) and a “Comments” question. Those two mandatory questions are not counted as part of the 20 questions limit.

B. Creative Commons – Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0. This license allows others to share and remix under the conditions of attributing us, for noncommercial purposes, and share-alike. The Committee discussed using Creative Commons for work that is created by Leeward CC faculty/staff for projects that they are paid for or given release time for by LeewardCC. The Committee agreed to it, although discussion arose about how there will be push-back from some faculty/staff not agreeing to making their work open. The Vice-Chancellor would like the DE Committee to make recommendations for a policy to be created for the campus in using Creative Commons.

ACTION ITEM: Learn more about Creative Commons to come prepared to the next meeting to make recommendations on what the policy should have.

C. Leeward DE Strategic Plan. There weren’t any comments to the Leeward DE Strategic Plan doc/draft and there wasn’t enough Committee members to make a final decision.

ACTION ITEM: Comment on the draft by the next meeting. If you don’t comment or give your input, you are agreeing to everything that is written.

IV.   Assessment Sub-Committee

A. eCafe recommended questions. Discussion arose about making a set of questions (about 10) mandatory since the mandatory questions don’t count as part of your 20 questions. If we have mandatory questions then the DE Committee can analyze the data results across all DE courses.

B. Evaluation of the Outstanding Teaching w/ Laulima Innovation Award applicants. Currently, there are no applicants. The Committee discussed ideas for changing the award to focus more on innovative teaching instead of Laulima tools. Perhaps re-branding the award to something like the “Outstanding Teaching w/ Innovation Award”.

Assessment Sub-Committee’s ACTION ITEM: Brainstorm ideas for changing the Laulima Innovation Award and bring them to the next meeting.

V.     Faculty Sub-Committee

A. There weren’t enough members present to report on the Faculty Sub-Committee’s tasks of the DE educators community and updating Leeward CC’s DE Guidelines with Quality Matters and Chico State standards.

Faculty Sub-Committee’s ACTION ITEM: Create a recommended draft of an updated Leeward CC’s DE Guidelines by comparing it with Quality Matters and Chico State standards.

VI.   Student Sub-Committee

A. Faculty survey for DE student expectations. A survey is being made to find out from DE faculty how we can help DE students be better prepared for taking a DE course. Three questions were created by the sub-committee and discussed with the Committee. Edits were made on the Google Document.

Student Sub-Committee’s ACTION ITEM: Define items to put as checkboxes in question two and include a short paragraph about the purpose of the survey.

VII.  Unfinished Business

A. Draft recommendations of policy for Creative Commons.

B. Should we have 10 or so mandatory questions for Leeward CC in eCafe?

VIII. Adjournment

The meeting adjourned at 3:20 PM.

The next DE Committee meeting is on Monday, April 16, 2012 at 2:30 PM – 3:30 PM in L-108.

Minutes respectfully submitted by Rachael I.

Agenda March 12, 2012

  1. Call to order
  2. Approval of Minutes
  3. ecafe
  4. Creative Commons
    1. Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0
      1. This license allows others to share and remix under the conditions of attributing us, for noncommercial purposes, and share-alike.
    2. Request from the Vice-Chancellor.
  5. Review of the LCC DE Strategic Plan
  6. Subcommittee Spring 2012
    1. Assessment subcommittee
      1. eCafe questions in for Spring  2012- 16 questions are under institution-should they be required?
      2. Evaluate Outstanding Teaching w/ Laulima Innovation Award applicants.
    2. Faculty subcommittee
      1. Build community for DE educators-ongoing
      2. Compare and update LCC DE Guidelines with Quality Matters andChico State standards for DE course review by individual, peer, administration.
    3. Student subcommittee
      1. Create four videos (Youtube)and Use Facebook groups for classroom communication
        1. Is Online learning right for me?
        2. Laulima basics
        3. Who do I ask?
        4. FAQs
      2. Create a list of faculty expectations (ask LCC faculty) of what students should be able to do before the take an online course. Faculty survey (draft).
      3. Student Survey Results-Improving Distance Courses at LCC- Fall 2011
  7. Unfinished Business
  8. New Business
  9. Announcements

Approved Minutes February 13, 2012

Attending: Michael Cawdery, Leanne Chun, Brent Hirata, Rachael Inake, Helmut Kae, Warren Kawano, Meredith Lee, Chris Matz, Heather Takamatsu, and Greg Walker (Chair)

I.    Call to Order: The meeting was called to order at 3:03 PM in L-108A

II.    Announcements:

A.    Update: Peter Quigley and others from UH campuses continue to meet regularly to work on the system-wide Strategic Plan for Online & Distance Learning. It’s still a work-in-progress. Five goals have been established and will continue to be discussed:

  • Increase the number of online courses and programs to meet the needs and goals of students, the business community, and the state.
  • Enhance open access and student support, especially for under-served and indigenous populations, and educational achievement.
  • Provide faculty development opportunities aligned to research, theory, and recommended practices.
  • Encourage symmetry in policy, technology, pedagogy, and administration between campuses and with the Community College system and beyond.
  • Collaboration with external groups to ensure that the UHCC system’s online activities are responding to the career, technical and social needs of the communities it serves.

Additionally, new online course policies are being discussed.

B.    Greg and Leanne have worked on creating Leeward CC’s DE Strategic Plan from the UH system-wide Strategic Plan for Online & Distance Learning. There are five goals:

  • Through continual evaluation, improve the quality of distance education.
  • Provide increased access, especially for under-served populations.
  • Assist faculty to identify and implement strategies which use appropriate and effective technologies and pedagogies.
  • Provide on-going support for faculty and students to enhance distance learning with technology.
  • Develop and implement strategies to increase Distance Education faculty and staff recruitment and retention efforts.

It is ready for review, comments and feedback from the DE Committee. Committee members will be added to the Google doc to give input by next month’s meeting on Monday, March 12, 2012.

III.    Assessment Sub-Committee

A.    eCafe Questions

There are 16 suggested questions available for instructors to use that will appear in a box at the beginning of the question list. Mandating one global question, “Global Appraisal: Considering everything how would you rate this COURSE? Circle one. [very poor – poor – average – good – excellent]”. This mandatory question will appear at the bottom of the question list as already ‘checked’ to be included in your eCafe survey. Discussion arose about whether it would be possible to create a DE survey with a couple of mandatory DE questions (separate from a f2f survey). Or if there is some way to pull only data from DE course surveys for evaluation purposes. This issue will be looked into further by The Chair.

B.    This Spring 2012 semester, the Assessment Sub-Committee will evaluate the Outstanding Teaching w/ Laulima Innovation Award applicants. The Assessment Sub-Committee will discuss ideas for implementing the process or perhaps changing some of the process to improve it.

IV.    Faculty Sub-Committee

A.    This Spring 2012 semester, the Faculty Sub-Committee will continue to build the community for DE instructors.

B.    This Spring 2012 semester, the Faculty Sub-Committee will compare and update the Leeward CC DE Guidelines with Quality Matters and Chico State standards for DE course review by individual, peer and administration.

V.    Student Sub-Committee

A.    This Spring 2012 semester, the Student Sub-Committee will survey Leeward CC DE faculty of what they think students should be able to do before they take an online course so resources could be made to address student DE needs.

B.    Reviewed the survey results from the Improving Distance Courses at LCC – Fall 2011 student survey. Survey showed 80% of students who took the survey were female.

VI.    Adjournment

Each sub-committee broke off into their own small groups to discuss and work on their tasks.

The next meeting will be on Monday, March 12, 2012 in L-108.

The meeting adjourned at 3:16 PM.

Minutes respectfully submitted by Rachael I.

Agenda February 13, 2012

  1. Report on Working Session for the “Strategic Plan for Online & Distance Learning”
  2. Review of the LCC DE Strategic Plan
  3. Subcommittee Spring 2012
    1. Assessment subcommittee
      1. eCafe questions in for Spring  2012- 16 questions are under institution-should they be required?
      2. Evaluate Outstanding Teaching w/ Laulima Innovation Award applicants.
    2. Faculty subcommittee
      1. Build community for DE educators-ongoing
      2. Compare and update LCC DE Guidelines with Quality Matters and Chico State standards for DE course review by individual, peer, administration.
    3. Student subcommittee-
      1. Create four videos (Youtube)and Use Facebook groups for classroom communication
        1. Is Online learning right for me?
        2. Laulima basics
        3. Who do I ask?
        4. FAQs
      2. Create a list of faculty expectations (ask LCC faculty) of what students should be able to do before the take an online course. Survey faculty?
      3. Student Survey Results-Improving Distance Courses at LCC- Fall 2011
  4. Unfinished Business
  5. New Business
  6. Announcements

Approved Minutes October 24, 2011

I.  Visit from Donna Matsumoto, Institutional Self Evaluation Chair and Accreditation Liaison Officer [ALO]

Accreditation team leader / Accreditation Liaison Officer (ALO) Donna Matsumoto reported on the need to address Distance Education in the campus’ evaluation report.  Donna’s work with institutional researcher Guy Nishimoto and her ALO training have indicated that the federal government has DE “in its crosshairs,” particularly because several for-profit organizations have abused their federal aid for DE programs.

Compliance issues have been passed down, creating a need for reporting on the following:

1.        IR DATA FOR DE:  Student-achievement data for face-to-face and DE courses needs to be disaggregated, to demonstrate quality DE instruction.  Data needs to be used to plan improvements.  With more online sections/faculty and students with low online preparedness, the student-success gap seems to be widening, and annual program review templates are now including DE data to analyze it.  It is difficult to separate out DE assessment data, but we’re working toward it (it is a one-year goal).

Greg Walker mentioned that this is becoming an automatic process for IR,  and online results will be available six months after the current semester.  He said that there used to be very little difference in student success between face-to-face and online sections, and DE was better, if anything; he is surprised at the gap.  He will create an annual DE report that will be public, available to everyone.

2.        INTEGRITY OF COURSES:  Faculty preparation, class interaction, services available to students, professional development, and course, integration with the college’s mission need to be upheld in online courses at a level equal to that of face-to-face sections.  Peter Quigley, at the system office, is putting together a strategic plan (perhaps to include some form of certification).  We are doing an LCC plan, for which training is an issue.

Susan Waldman pointed out that there are different faculty development and student development standards/practices on different campuses.  Donna says we should be doing research about student preparation, etc.  Meredith added that Lexer Chou [Student Life Coordinator] has recommended that online course discussions for New Student Orientation [NSO] should be included during students’ one-on-one meetings with their counselors, to assure that students registering for online courses are prepared for them.  Greg added that the existing Laulima orientation at NSO is primarily training for face-to-face classes but that current students are much better than those from five years ago at picking up Laulima skills.

Meredith emphasized the need for addressing issues of responsibility, etc. (not just Laulima tools) when looking at online preparedness.  Most students, she added, are not yet thinking about online when at NSO; that comes later (once students are looking at registering for courses.
Heather said that one-on-one counselor appointments are the best time for addressing these issues because not all students are interested in online courses.

Greg will be creating a DE handbook for students, for accreditation.  (Students at many campuses have to go through a credit course on being a successful online student.  Instructors ofren must do same for their online teaching.)  He stressed, however, that pointing students to a handbook is not enough; this puts the burden on instructors to teach students how to be online students. He said that students need the experience of preparing, and we (DE) now have the opportunity–since creating such programs is an accreditation item–to put some sort of online training into place, and that we need to include a request (in the report) for this requirement.  This is a strong vehicle for creating positive change.

Greg added that most complaints from online students are related to courses’ lack of integrity (instructors not responding to emails, instructor lack of presence, etc.).  Meredith pointed out the [opposite] issue also at play: some students don’t WANT integrity in their courses—they just want them to be easier than face-to-face courses (and expect that).

3.        DE AND INSTITUTIONAL EFFECTIVENESS:  DE needs to be integrated into the strategic plan, goals, priorities, mission, etc.; but DE currently isn’t–it “grew up on its own” as we offered more online courses.  Now we have the opportunity to think about these things (goals), which may pose one of the biggest problems for our campus.

Faculty are not compensated for creating online courses, and it is not part of their contract.  Donna says there used to be overload/compensation for creating online courses.  Although
Greg did once secure grant money to work with faculty on designing courses, the instructors weren’t doing the work.

Donna says the current goal is actionable improvement plans; she urged DE Committee members to comment on the report draft that came out today; where DE was not included, there are prompts in blue.  Hundreds of references to DE need to be addressed.  Standard II is most pertinent (2a especially—focus on this section).  Donna wrote some curriculum-related narrative herself and had administrators look through it.  Standard 2b has the same issues.  Standard 2c is okay—we have good resources for DE (library, etc.); Helmut put in lots about resources.  Standard 1 still needs work.

Donna says we are doing a lot of best practices for DE—we just need to put the information in the report so that it is on people’s “radar” (which it wasn’t when they were writing their sections–they weren’t familiar with our DE policies/practices, so they were not included).

The Committee brainstormed on how DE information can be added to the report (since Greg and Leanne can’t do it by Nov. 9 on their own); it was suggested that available DE Committee members meet on the Nov 18 work day and draft the missing DE sections.

Long term, the DE Committee–which currently reports to Vice Chancellor Pecsok–might eventually become a Faculty Senate subcommittee, in which case Greg will no longer be chair.  Greg says that a FS committee would be ideal as we need more faculty involvement with DE.  Warren says that no matter what form the DE Committee takes, it should still also maintain a connection to the EMC.

Agenda December 12, 2011

  1. Call to order
  2. Approval of Minutes
  3. Accreditation work day feeedback
  4. Reports by subcommittee chairs-
    1. Assessment subcommittee-2011 goals
      1. eCafe questions in for Spring  2012- Put all 16 question under institution?
      2. DE Committee Feedback on recommended eCafe questions. completed
      3. Submit new eCafe questions. completed
      4. Distribute recommended questions to Divisions & DE faculty. completed
      5. Implement eCafe questions in Fall 2011. completed
      6. Evaluate Laulima Award questions.
    2. Faculty subcommittee 2011 Goals
      1. Release surveys to faculty and Admin completed
      2. Build community for DE educators-ongoing
      3. Provide means for DE course review by individual, peer, administration.
    3. Student subcommittee-2011 Goals
      1. DE Handbook for Students
      2. Create four videos (Youtube)
      3. Is Online learning right for me?
      4. Laulima basics
      5. Who do I ask?
      6. FAQs
      7. Use Facebook groups for classroom communication
  5. Unfinished Business
  6. New Business
  7. Announcements

Agenda November 21, 2011

  1. Call to order
  2. Introduction of members
  3. Approval of Minutes
  4. Secretary
  5. The University of Hawai‘i Community Colleges’ Online Learning Strategic Plan
  6.  Accreditation
    1. Accreditation work day
      1. First draft of Institutional Self Evaluation Report
      2. Guide to Evaluating DE
    2. IR Data for DE
    3. Leeward CC DE Plan
    4. DE Handbook for Students- Student Subcommittee?
  7. Faculty Senate Ad Hoc Committee on Evaluation
    1. Michael
    2. Helmut?
    3. Business Faculty member
  8. eCafe questions in for Spring  2012- Put all 16 question under institution?
  9. Reports by subcommittee chairs-
    1. Assessment subcommittee-2011 goals
      1. DE Committee Feedback on recommended eCafe questions. completed
      2. Submit new eCafe questions. completed
      3. Distribute recommended questions to Divisions & DE faculty. completed
      4. Implement eCafe questions in Fall 2011. completed
      5. Evaluate Laulima Award questions.
    2. Faculty subcommittee 2011 Goals
      1. Release surveys to faculty and Admin completed
      2. Build community for DE educators-ongoing
      3. Provide means for DE course review by individual, peer, administration.
    3. Student subcommittee-2011 Goals
      1. Create four videos (Youtube)
      2. Is Online learning right for me?
      3. Laulima basics
      4. Who do I ask?
      5. FAQs
      6. Use Facebook groups for classroom communication

10.  Sloan Conference Report

11.  Unfinished Business

12.  New Business

13.  Announcements

Agenda October 24, 2011

  1. Call to order
  2. Introduction of members
  3. Approval of April Minutes
  4. Secretary
  5. The University of Hawai‘i Community Colleges’ Online Learning Strategic Plan
  6.  Accredidation
    1. First draft of Institutional Self Evaluation Report
      • Standard II focuses on student learning programs and services regardless of delivery mode, which makes DE particularly relevant. Sometimes, DE is addressed in the narrative; but often DE is not mentioned–but needs to be.
      • Standard III focuses on human, physical, technology, and financial resources, and DE is addressed.
      • provide additional–and even more specific–DE evidence, such as meeting minutes, reports, recommendations, and other key documents.
    2.  Guide to Evaluating DE
    3. IR Data for DE
    4. Leeward CC DE Plan
    5. DE Handbook for Students
  7. Faculty Senate Ad Hoc Committee on Evaluation
  8. Reports by subcommittee chairs-
    1. Assessment subcommittee-2011 goals
      1. DE Committee Feedback on recommended eCafe questions.
      2. Submit new eCafe questions.
      3. Distribute recommended questions to Divisions & DE faculty.
      4. Implement eCafe questions in Fall 2011.
      5. Evaluate Laulima Award questions.
    2. Faculty subcommittee 2011 Goals
      1. Release surveys to faculty and Admin
      2. Build community for DE educators 
      3. Provide means for DE course review by individual, peer, administration.
    3. Student subcommittee-2011 Goals
      1. Create four videos (Youtube)
        • Is Online learning right for me?
        •  Laulima basics
        • Who do I ask?
        • FAQs
      2. Use Facebook groups for classroom communication
  9. E-Learn Conference
  10. Unfinished Business
  11. New Business
  12. Announcements

Approved Minutes September 12, 2011

Attendees:  Greg Walker, Blanca Polo, Leanne Chun, Melanie VanDer Tuin, Michael Cawdery, Chris Matz, Meredith Lee, Heather Aihara, Rachael Inake, Brent Hirata, Helmut Kae, and Warren Kawano

Meeting in L-108 called to order at 2:40 PM.

I.  Introduction of Members

II.  Approved meeting minutes of April 28, 2011.  The Chair confirmed he sent in the questions to eCafe administrators to add, but they haven’t been made mandatory in eCafe since the DE Committee didn’t decide to.

III.  University of Hawaii Community Colleges’ Online Learning Strategic Plan

There’s an initiative led by Peter Quigley for a online learning strategic plan for UH community colleges.  Michael Cawdery and Leanne Chun are going to help with the University of Hawaii Community Colleges’ Online Learning Strategic Plan.

IV.  Faculty Senate Ad Hoc Committee on Evaluation

V.  Leeward CC Accreditation Report

DE Committee is to review accreditation write-up and recommend missing policies and procedures.

VI.  Authentic Online Learning Project (Perkin’s Grant)

AOL is a year-long endeavor that instructors (from CC campuses) will create an authentic activity and assessment.  Committee members were asked to volunteer for AOL.  Melanie V. and Rachael I. volunteered to be mentors.  Results from the project (i.e. the instructors’ authentic activities) will be created in Google Sites and shared with everyone to use, remix, etc.

VII.  DE Committee Appreciation Letters for 2012

Each sub-committee chair to report what their subcommittee did for the year by May 2012.

VIII.  Subcommittees

A.  Each subcommittee to decide on their goals by next month’s meeting.  (See membership page for list of subcommittees and their members.)

B.  Faculty Subcommittee – The subcommittee requested results from student surveys for DE (in surveyshare).

C.  DE Committee divided into their subcommittees to meet and discuss goals for the year.

Meeting adjourned at 3:35 PM

Agenda September 12, 2011

  1. Introduction of members
  2. Approval of April Minutes
  3. Secretary for 2011-12
  4. The University of Hawai‘i Community Colleges’ Online Learning Strategic Plan
  5. Faculty Senate Ad Hoc Committee on Evaluation
  6. Volunteer mentors for Authentic Online Learning project
  7. Subcommittee academic year final reports due  May 2012-(appreciation letters)
  8. Reports by subcommittee chairs- status of 2011 goals
    1. Assessment subcommittee-2011 goals
      1. DE Committee Feedback on recommended eCafe questions.
      2. Submit new eCafe questions.
      3. Distribute recommended questions to Divisions & DE faculty.
      4. Implement eCafe questions in Fall 2011.
      5. Evaluate Laulima Award questions.
    2. Faculty subcommittee 2011 Goals
      1. Release surveys to faculty and Admin
      2. Build community for DE educators 
      3. Provide means for DE course review by individual, peer, administration.
    3. Student subcommittee-2011 Goals
      1. Create four videos (Youtube)
        • Is Online learning right for me?
        •  Laulima basics
        • Who do I ask?
        • FAQs
      2. Use Facebook groups for classroom communication
  9. Unfinished Business
  10. New Business
  11. Announcements

Approved Minutes April 28, 2011

Attendees: Bradley Ashburn, Leanne Chun, Ryan Girard, Sharla Hanaoka, Junie Hayashi (recorder), Brent Hirata, Rachael Inake, Warren Kawano, Chris Matz, Melanie Van DerTuin, Greg Walker

1.       Call to order 3:00 PM

2.       March meeting – no minutes, but you can review the Elluminate recording-Play

3.       Committee approval of the defintion of a hybrid DE course

a.       http://flightline.highline.edu/distlearn/hybrid.defn.htm

b.       http://adn-cip.waketech.edu/tech_presentation/Hybird_Courses.pdf

4.       eCafé update

LeewardCC eCafe Questions for DE Courses

a.       3 reworded and 3 new questions

b.       10 recommended questions are already in eCafé  (last 2 questions are                           listed under #296)

c.       Chair will send new/reworded questions to eCafé

d.       Committee needs to decide what is next step. Should questions be                               mandatory? If so, which questions?

5.       Laulima Innovation Award upate-Awarded May 6th?

a.       2011 submissionvideos – 5 weresubmitted

b.       Subcommittee will review submissions and choose winner by next Monday (May  2nd).

6.       Accreditation – DE (getting numerous requests)

7.       FacultySub-Committee Report

a.       Create online community of DE Faculty to share courses/tools

b.       Planning round tables several time during the semester in which one instructor will be featured to share with question and answer session. (Meredith Lee contacted Cindy Martin to share her Laulima course.)

8.       StudentSub-Committee Report

a.       Create four videos (Youtube) – Videos will also include student                                     testimonials. EMC has already produced several videos that can be used.

1)       Is online learning right for me?

2)       Laulima basics

3)       Who do I ask?

4)       FAQs

5)       Use Facebook groups for classroom communication

b.       iLearn@ Leeward

c.     iLearn@ LeewardNing – All DE students will be invited to join the community which will be the one stop shop for students.

9.       AssessmentSub-Committee Report

Agenda April 28, 2011

  1. Call to order
  2. March meeting Elluminate recording-Play
  3. Committee approval of the defintion of a hybrid DE course
    1. http://flightline.highline.edu/distlearn/hybrid.defn.htm
    2. http://adn-cip.waketech.edu/tech_presentation/Hybird_Courses.pdf
  4. Ecafe update
    1. Leeward CC eCafé Questions for DE Courses
  5. Laulima Innovation Award upate-Awarded May 6th?
    1. 2011 submission videos
  6. Accreditation- DE
  7. Faculty Sub-Committee Report
    1. Create online community of DE Faculty to share courses/tools
  8. Student Sub-Committee Report
    1.  Create four videos (Youtube)
      1. Is online learning right for me?
      2. Laulima basics
      3. Who do I ask?
      4. FAQs
      5. Use Facebook groups for classroom communication
    2. iLearn@ Leeward
    3. iLearn@ Leeward Ning
  9.  Assessment Sub-Committee Report   

Re-worded and New Questions Proposed for eCafe Questions for DE Courses

119 (re-worded)  The instructor was willing to help and respond to questions in a timely manner.

127 (re-worded)  Work requirements, course objectives, and grading system were clear from the beginning.

215 (re-worded)  The materials provided by the instructor were relevant to the course objectives.

(New)  The course workload was well-distributed throughout the semester.

(New)  The activities & assessments in this course were reflective of course objectives.

(New)  I would recommend this instructor to other students.

 

For your reference: List of all eCafe questions as of 4/11/11, copied from Greg’s eCafe account and pasted to this document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cwMAbtNlyp9rwBVepANvK49AnrWwWO-j_Ugi8IJQeCY/edit?hl=en&authkey=CIGLsLsG

10 Recommended eCafe Questions for DE Courses

003  I learned to apply principles from this course to new situations.

058  The instructor appears to have a thorough knowledge of the subject.

093  The instructor treated students with respect.

130  The instructor presented the course materials in a clear and organized way.

133  The amount of work required is appropriate for the credit received.

176  Assignments are returned promptly.

296 (missing)  Online communication with class members and the instructor helped me to learn course materials in an effective manner.

325  Global appraisal: Considering everything how would you rate this COURSE? Circle one. [very poor - poor - average - good - excellent]

(# missing)  What did you like least about your online course experience?

(# missing)  What did you like most about your online course experience?

 

For your reference: List of all eCafe questions as of 4/11/11, copied from Greg’s eCafe account and pasted to this document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cwMAbtNlyp9rwBVepANvK49AnrWwWO-j_Ugi8IJQeCY/edit?hl=en&authkey=CIGLsLsG

Approved Minutes January 27, 2011

Attendees:  Michael Cawdery, Leanne Chun, Ryan Girard, Junie Hayashi (recorder), Brent Hirata, Rachael Inake, Helmut Kae, Warren Kawano, Blanca Polo, Melanie Van der Tuin, Greg Walker

1.         Call to Order

2.         Approval of Minutes (no Minutes)

3.         Ecafe Questions

a.         Faculty Period March 7 – March 31 http://www.hawaii.edu/ecafe/

b.         Committee redesigned questions/survey

1)    List of 16 questions – instructors can pick 4 personalized questions

2)    Questions highlighted in grey are new or rewritten questions

3)    Evaluation of instructor versus SLOs

4)    What was the reason for the eCafe survey? General DE program questions? Student evaluation of course or instructor or both?

5)    Still open for discussion, not ready for decision yet

4.         Laulima Innovation Award

a.         http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/EMC/laulima_award

b.         Ready to go, just sign up and submit a form

c.         Due Friday, March 18, 2011 (right before Spring Break)

5.         ADA for DE courses – what are the standards for online courses, what do we have to do? Michael has a disclaimer that he uses. We should also check with Kris Hernandez.

6.         ICS100 cable course – Panel discussion – digital literacy (students, faculty members, employees)

7.         Committee reports-please report on your goals for spring. What do you plan to do and accomplish?   

a.         Faculty Sub-Committee

1)   Create online community of DE Faculty (all DE faculty – 60%) – share courses/tools

2)   Include division heads, support instructors/faculty (31 division and discipline chairs – 40%)

b.         Student Sub-Committee

1)         Create four videos (Youtube)

a)         Is online learning right for me?

b)         Laulima basics

c)         Who do I ask?

d)         FAQs

2)         Use Facebook groups for classroom communication

c.         Assessment Sub-Committee

Announcements – none

New business – none

Next meeting:  Feb 24, 2011 in L108 12:30 – 1:30pm

2011-2012 Student Sub-committee Goals

  1. Faculty Survey – DE Student Expectations
  2. Create four videos (Youtube)
    1. Is Online learning right for me? Is this your first online course?
      • Take our online Distance Education Self-Assessment Quiz to see if you are ready for taking online courses at Leeward Community College. For more information go to, DE Self-Assessment Quiz
    2. Laulima basics
    3. Who do I ask?
    4. FAQs
  3. Use Facebook groups for classroom communication

2011 Goals

  1. DE Committee Feedback on recommended eCafe questions.
  2. Submit new eCafe questions.
  3. Distribute recommended questions to Divisions & DE faculty.
  4. Implement eCafe questions in Fall 2011.
  5. Evaluate Laulima Award questions.

Approved Minutes November 18, 2010

Attendees: Warren Kawano, Ryan Girard, Michael Cawdery, Sharla Hanaoka, Helmut Kae, Blanca Polo, Leanne Chun, Corey Adler

Report Out of Subgroups:

1. Faculty Sub-committee

The subgroup will identify who the effective DE online instructors and catalog it to share it across disciplines. Would like to include Division Chairs in the process to find out who is interested in developing their entire program online. Would like to ensure we are providing students a quality product.

Greg shared the DE mission statement.

Plan of Action:

The subgroup will survey the DE online faculty using Google Docs. They are soliciting questions from the group.

Michael will ask everyone for the Google accounts.

2. Assessment Sub-committee

Looking at all the eCafe questions and trying to narrow it down to 20 questions. The committee is using the DE Guidelines. The subgroup will share the questions with the committee by next meeting. Additional questions can get approved.

DE Guidelines – Michael Cawdery asked if there is a self-evaluation checklist? Goal is to have a checklist. Let’s revisit the LCC DE Guidelines. We may want to have a Bronze, Silver, Gold level of DE course. Greg offered to put together comparison of our current DE Guidelines with the Quality Matters Guidelines. He will bring it to the next meeting.

3. Student Sub-committee

Encourage Counselors to encourage students to familiarize themselves with Laulima and counsel them on whether or not they are ready to do Distance Ed.

One idea is to create a Facebook for Leeward (ie: Leeward Blanca Polo). “Friend” the student to improve student-instructor interaction. Helmut suggested putting an Organization page with links. He is using it to create a network of students. Posts current content. Avoids having to be friends with everyone. One-login.

Greg stated there is an optional Distance Ed Laulima orientation. It is held on Saturday morning before semester starts.  >80 students come. Most students don’t come.

New Student Orientation incorporates Laulima training. It is conducted as a game-based training. The plan is to make this into an online training.

Greg mentioned they are in the planning stages to create an online community for DE students so they can connect and get support.

3. Future Projects

Greg would like to create a more transparent sharing environment. Minutes will be posted online. Greg asked subgroup also post meeting minutes online.

Greg asked for the subgroups to meet before the next meeting and post the minutes online.

Next meeting: Thursday, December 9 at 12:30. Potluck lunch.

DE Faculty Support Sub-committee for Instructor Enrichment, Enhancement, and Assessment (DEFS)

Mission:

To provide all Leeward CC Departments and Divisions with DE instructors with a support web to ensure and enhance quality of DE course offerings. This web will be woven and strengthened by UH system instructors using best/innovative practice in DE courses.

Wings of encouragement:

Enrichment Wing

Focus:

  • showcase of best practice

Actions:

  • recognition of instructor of the month
  • identify and contact DE power instructors
  • create functional website with examples of Leeward CC best practices
  • create lunch hour for interested instructors

Enhancement Wing

Focus:

  • resource of baseline tools with instructional tutorials

Actions:

  • identify instructors who desire and are willing to learn new tools
  • create functional website with examples of tools used by Leeward CC instructors organized to address basics to DE, baseline industry standards, and enhancements for well developed courses.
  • create lunch hour for interested instructors

Assessment Wing

Focus:

  • Review for the campus wide improvement of DE courses

Actions:

  • What are the courses and Who are the instructors?
  • Speak with division chairs about initiatives to support DE faculty
  • Disseminate basic rubric for an effective DE course
  • Speak with administration/div. chairs about peer assessment of DE courses on a annual basis

Next Steps:

  1. Obtain list of DE courses
  2. Obtain list of DE instructors with contact information
  3. Develop questions for instructor survey
  4. Develop questions for div.chair/department coordinator survey
  5. Create survey for instructors to gather information about resources
  6. Create survey for div.chair/department coo. for DE
  7. Create structure surrounding course review process

2011 Goals

  1. Release surveys to faculty and Admin
  2. Build community for DE educators
  3. Provide means for DE course review by individual, peer, administration

Approved Minutes October 21, 2010

Attendees:  Bradley Ashburn, Leanne Chun, Ryan Girard, Junie Hayashi (recorder), Kris Hernandez, Brent Hirata, Rachael Inake, Helmet Kae, Warren Kawada, Blanca Polo, Jan Shimabukuro Lee, Melanie Van der Tuin, Greg Walker

Absent: Corey Adler, Michael Cawdery, Natalie Yuen

  1. Introduction of new members
  2. Discussion of Mind Map and its use. Thank you everyone for signing up!
  3. Subcommittees:
    • Assessment -Rachael (chair) Ryan, Warren, Natalie, Leanne
      • eCafe:  20 questions needed.
      • Laulima Innovation Award: Award process is very grueling, but last year refined the process to make it easier.
  4. Student readiness – Blanca (chair) Kris, Melanie, Jan, Junie
    • Are students ready for online courses?
  5. Faculty readiness – Michael (chair), Helmet, Brad, Brent
    • Are faculty members ready for online courses? Started sharing of courses with faculty last year and need to follow up
  6. Administration – Greg
  7. General Discussion
    1. Need for DE orientation for students
    2. Need for DE orientation for faculty. Some faculty may get resistance from own departments.
    3. Aren’t all problems experienced with DE courses similar to those experienced with face to face classes? What is the difference? How can we overcome perceptions that DE is harder, easier, or just different?
    4. Some DE meetings may be virtual (Elluminate)

Next Meeting: Thursday, November 18, 2010 12:30-1:30pm L108