Attending: Michael Cawdery, Leanne Chun, Brent Hirata, Rachael Inake, Helmut Kae, Warren Kawano, Meredith Lee, Chris Matz, Heather Takamatsu, and Greg Walker (Chair)
I. Call to Order: The meeting was called to order at 3:03 PM in L-108A
A. Update: Peter Quigley and others from UH campuses continue to meet regularly to work on the system-wide Strategic Plan for Online & Distance Learning. It’s still a work-in-progress. Five goals have been established and will continue to be discussed:
- Increase the number of online courses and programs to meet the needs and goals of students, the business community, and the state.
- Enhance open access and student support, especially for under-served and indigenous populations, and educational achievement.
- Provide faculty development opportunities aligned to research, theory, and recommended practices.
- Encourage symmetry in policy, technology, pedagogy, and administration between campuses and with the Community College system and beyond.
- Collaboration with external groups to ensure that the UHCC system’s online activities are responding to the career, technical and social needs of the communities it serves.
Additionally, new online course policies are being discussed.
B. Greg and Leanne have worked on creating Leeward CC’s DE Strategic Plan from the UH system-wide Strategic Plan for Online & Distance Learning. There are five goals:
- Through continual evaluation, improve the quality of distance education.
- Provide increased access, especially for under-served populations.
- Assist faculty to identify and implement strategies which use appropriate and effective technologies and pedagogies.
- Provide on-going support for faculty and students to enhance distance learning with technology.
- Develop and implement strategies to increase Distance Education faculty and staff recruitment and retention efforts.
It is ready for review, comments and feedback from the DE Committee. Committee members will be added to the Google doc to give input by next month’s meeting on Monday, March 12, 2012.
III. Assessment Sub-Committee
A. eCafe Questions
There are 16 suggested questions available for instructors to use that will appear in a box at the beginning of the question list. Mandating one global question, “Global Appraisal: Considering everything how would you rate this COURSE? Circle one. [very poor – poor – average – good – excellent]”. This mandatory question will appear at the bottom of the question list as already ‘checked’ to be included in your eCafe survey. Discussion arose about whether it would be possible to create a DE survey with a couple of mandatory DE questions (separate from a f2f survey). Or if there is some way to pull only data from DE course surveys for evaluation purposes. This issue will be looked into further by The Chair.
B. This Spring 2012 semester, the Assessment Sub-Committee will evaluate the Outstanding Teaching w/ Laulima Innovation Award applicants. The Assessment Sub-Committee will discuss ideas for implementing the process or perhaps changing some of the process to improve it.
IV. Faculty Sub-Committee
A. This Spring 2012 semester, the Faculty Sub-Committee will continue to build the community for DE instructors.
B. This Spring 2012 semester, the Faculty Sub-Committee will compare and update the Leeward CC DE Guidelines with Quality Matters and Chico State standards for DE course review by individual, peer and administration.
V. Student Sub-Committee
A. This Spring 2012 semester, the Student Sub-Committee will survey Leeward CC DE faculty of what they think students should be able to do before they take an online course so resources could be made to address student DE needs.
B. Reviewed the survey results from the Improving Distance Courses at LCC – Fall 2011 student survey. Survey showed 80% of students who took the survey were female.
Each sub-committee broke off into their own small groups to discuss and work on their tasks.
The next meeting will be on Monday, March 12, 2012 in L-108.
The meeting adjourned at 3:16 PM.
Minutes respectfully submitted by Rachael I.