Minutes March 12, 2012

Attending: Leanne Chun, Brent Hirata, Rachael Inake, Warren Kawano, Chris Matz, Heather Takamatsu,  Susan Waldman and Greg Walker (Chair)

I.     Call to Order

The meeting was called to order at 2:40 PM.

II.    Minutes

Minutes of the February 13, 2012 meeting were unanimously approved as written.

III.   Agenda Items

A. eCafe. eCafe is now open so you can go in and setup your evaluations. There is one mandatory question (i.e. Global Appraisal question) and a “Comments” question. Those two mandatory questions are not counted as part of the 20 questions limit.

B. Creative Commons – Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0. This license allows others to share and remix under the conditions of attributing us, for noncommercial purposes, and share-alike. The Committee discussed using Creative Commons for work that is created by Leeward CC faculty/staff for projects that they are paid for or given release time for by LeewardCC. The Committee agreed to it, although discussion arose about how there will be push-back from some faculty/staff not agreeing to making their work open. The Vice-Chancellor would like the DE Committee to make recommendations for a policy to be created for the campus in using Creative Commons.

ACTION ITEM: Learn more about Creative Commons to come prepared to the next meeting to make recommendations on what the policy should have.

C. Leeward DE Strategic Plan. There weren’t any comments to the Leeward DE Strategic Plan doc/draft and there wasn’t enough Committee members to make a final decision.

ACTION ITEM: Comment on the draft by the next meeting. If you don’t comment or give your input, you are agreeing to everything that is written.

IV.   Assessment Sub-Committee

A. eCafe recommended questions. Discussion arose about making a set of questions (about 10) mandatory since the mandatory questions don’t count as part of your 20 questions. If we have mandatory questions then the DE Committee can analyze the data results across all DE courses.

B. Evaluation of the Outstanding Teaching w/ Laulima Innovation Award applicants. Currently, there are no applicants. The Committee discussed ideas for changing the award to focus more on innovative teaching instead of Laulima tools. Perhaps re-branding the award to something like the “Outstanding Teaching w/ Innovation Award”.

Assessment Sub-Committee’s ACTION ITEM: Brainstorm ideas for changing the Laulima Innovation Award and bring them to the next meeting.

V.     Faculty Sub-Committee

A. There weren’t enough members present to report on the Faculty Sub-Committee’s tasks of the DE educators community and updating Leeward CC’s DE Guidelines with Quality Matters and Chico State standards.

Faculty Sub-Committee’s ACTION ITEM: Create a recommended draft of an updated Leeward CC’s DE Guidelines by comparing it with Quality Matters and Chico State standards.

VI.   Student Sub-Committee

A. Faculty survey for DE student expectations. A survey is being made to find out from DE faculty how we can help DE students be better prepared for taking a DE course. Three questions were created by the sub-committee and discussed with the Committee. Edits were made on the Google Document.

Student Sub-Committee’s ACTION ITEM: Define items to put as checkboxes in question two and include a short paragraph about the purpose of the survey.

VII.  Unfinished Business

A. Draft recommendations of policy for Creative Commons.

B. Should we have 10 or so mandatory questions for Leeward CC in eCafe?

VIII. Adjournment

The meeting adjourned at 3:20 PM.

The next DE Committee meeting is on Monday, April 16, 2012 at 2:30 PM – 3:30 PM in L-108.

Minutes respectfully submitted by Rachael I.

Tagged with:
Posted in Minutes
Skip to toolbar