Minutes for April 16, 2012

Attending: Bradley Ashburn, Michael Cawdery, Brent Hirata, Rachael Inake, Helmut Kae, Warren Kawano, Meredith Lee, Chris Matz, Heather Takamatsu, and Greg Walker (Chair)

I.     Call to Order

The meeting was called to order at 2:35 PM.

II.    Minutes

Minutes of the March 12, 2012 meeting were unanimously approved as written.

III.   Agenda Items

A. Creative Commons – Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0. This license allows others to share and remix under the conditions of attributing us, for noncommercial purposes, and share-alike. The Committee discussed using Creative Commons for work-for-hire artifacts, as a request from the Vice-Chancellor. Having the Creative Commons license on work-for-hire artifacts would replace the 50/50 ownership and allow the work to be free for anyone to remix, reuse, and repurpose. The Committee decided that there wasn’t enough understanding about work-for-hire. The question was raised about what would approving this mean to the College? Will there be more opportunities for work-for-hire to create DE courses under a Creative Commons license? This item was tabled.

B. Leeward CC DE Strategic Plan. Since the last meeting, the Leeward CC DE Strategic Plan draft was reviewed and commented on by the Committee members. Most comments were resolved quickly, and the Committee discussed the remaining questions/comments at the meeting:

  • Web-enhanced section didn’t fit in the scope of the DE plan so it was taken out.
  • The Committe was in favor of transforming the DE Committee to an official DE Standing Committee of Faculty Senate to support the growing need of DE at Leeward CC. This would make the DE Committee an official, recommending committee to the Faculty Senate, as the DE Standing Committee, giving the Committee more importance/weight in recommendations they would make for the College. The DE Committee Chair will work with the Faculty Senate Chair to amend the bylaws to make this happen. The DE Standing Committee Chair would be a DE faculty on the Committee and a senator on the Faculty Senate.
  • The Committee discussed the issue of assessment training for faculty so faculty are educated on how to evaluate a DE course. This was accepted with a modification of taking out the part about having a team of faculty with the Division Chair as part of the assessment team.

The Committee unanimously approved the draft (after disucssion and revisons), and will be passed along to the Faculty Senate for approval.

IV.   Assessment Sub-Committee

A. Outstanding Teaching with Laulima Innovation Award submissions. There are six videos to review using the rubric by April 30. A short write-up congratulating the winner needs to be written for Manny to use at the Awards ceremony. Letters with feedback for improvement need to be written up to give to the other applicants.

Assessment Sub-Committee’s ACTION ITEMS:

  • Evaluate the six video submissions for the Laulima Award using the rubric. Deadline is April 30.
  • Write the letter for the Laulima Award winner.
  • Write the five letters with feedback for improvement for the other Laulima Award applicants.
  • Brainstorm ideas for changing the Laulima Innovation Award and bring them to the next meeting. Re-brand the award to something like the “Outstanding Teaching w/ Innovation Award” to focus less on Laulima tools.

V.     Faculty Sub-Committee

A. DE educators community

B. Update Leeward CC’s DE Guidelines with Quality Matters and Chico State standards.

Faculty Sub-Committee’s ACTION ITEM: Create a recommended draft of an updated Leeward CC’s DE Guidelines by comparing it with Quality Matters and Chico State standards.

VI.   Student Sub-Committee

A. Faculty survey for DE student expectations. A survey is being made to find out from DE faculty how we can help DE students be better prepared for taking a DE course. Three questions were created by the sub-committee and discussed with the Committee. Edits were made on the Google Document.

Student Sub-Committee’s ACTION ITEM: Define items to put as checkboxes in question two and include a short paragraph about the purpose of the survey.

VII.  Unfinished Business

A. Should we have 10 or so mandatory questions for Leeward CC in eCafe?

VIII. New Business

A. The Chair will send out a Google Doc to gather ideas for topics on how to teach online for an upcoming workshop.

B. Next month’s meeting is the last meeting for the semester. It will be a potluck.

IX. Adjournment

The meeting adjourned at 3:30 PM.

The next DE Committee meeting is on Monday, May 7, 2012 at 2:30 PM – 3:30 PM in L-108. It will be a potluck.

Minutes respectfully submitted by Rachael I.

Tagged with:
Posted in Minutes
Skip to toolbar