Minutes March 28, 2016

Attendees: Dalybeth Reasoner, Pete Gross, Michelle Igarashi, Warren Kawano, Naiad Wong, Greg Walker, Rachael Inake, Heather Takamatsu, Brent Hirata.

  1. Meeting called to order on March 28, 2016 at 3:05 PM in LC 108A.
  2. Meeting minutes from February 22, 2016’s was unanimously approved.
  3. The DE Committee wants to increase DE support for instructors to improve DE instructors and courses.
    • The DE Committee decided against making a recommendation to Faculty Senate, and instead, have “DE Liaisons” within each division who can help new DE instructors and existing DE instructors who need DE advice or support. The DE Liaisons can start with the DE Committee members and we can recruit other seasoned DE instructors to be DE Liaisons as well. The DE Liaisons will help to provide peer support (e.g. feedback, evaluation, advice, where to get help or information, etc.).
    • The DE Committee reviewed the DE Guidelines and discussed how we will help instructors as DE Liaisons. The DE Guidelines are general and can be used as a starting point when helping instructors. Each DE Liaison will also include some examples and “best practices” to expand on the guidelines and which are specific to their division’s disciplines. It was suggested to meet a minimum of three times a semester with the instructor to “check-in” with him/her.
    • We will talk to our Division Chairs to ask them to support the DE Committee’s initiative and encourage DE instructors to seek help from their DE Liaisons.
    • DE Liaisons will report to the DE Committee.
  4. Meeting adjourned at 3:58 PM. Next meeting will be on April 18 at 3:00 PM.
Tagged with:
Posted in Minutes

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Skip to toolbar