Meeting called to order at 3:07pm.
Attendance: Warren Kawano, Camden Barruga, Christy Takamure, Tracie Loche, Matthew Egami, Daniela Elliot, Brent Hirata, Annemarie Paikai, Michelle Igarashi, Rachael Inake
- Unanimous approval of February 12, 2018 minutes
- Introduction of new members
- Camden Barruga, APT, Academic Services; Tracie Loche, faculty, A&H
- Update on IOTA award submissions
- 4 submissions
- Greg plans to record with the applicants before spring break.
- The committee will review and decide at April’s meeting.
- Discussion on accreditation reports
- Reviewed and discussed compliance and recommendations on other schools’ reports.
- At Leeward, every for-credit course is DE. Leeward is not doing correspondence courses.
- For Leeward’s accreditation report, provide concrete examples of courses and instructors that have interaction from the DE Federal Regulations Training self-assessment form.
- Our concerns
- How do we know the student is who they say they are in the online course?
- Instructors don’t only use Laulima. (Accreditors will only have access to Laulima.)
- Is there a process to ensure quality? No, but neither is there one for face-to-face classes. DE should be evaluated the same as face-to-face.
- “Regular and substantive interaction” is not clearly defined.
- Should the DE Committee work to define it? Perhaps do research on what other schools do and look at what instructors submitted in the self-assessment form from the DE Federal Regulations Training. Compile and categorize data.
- We don’t have a formal policy and procedure to ensure the required interaction is happening.
- Can we get accreditation examples of best practices or how other schools defined “regular and substantive interaction”?
- Idea: Revise the DE guidelines and put it in the DE Federal Regulations Training.
- DE Faculty Survey – tabled
Meeting adjourned at 4:12pm. Next meeting on April 16, 2018 at 3:00pm in LC 108A.
Minutes recorded by Rachael I.