Leeward Faculty and Lecturers,
An electronic ballot will be distributed to all faculty and lecturers on Monday, April 3rd soliciting input on Leeward’s tier 1 campus-level question for the new Course Evaluation System (CES). The question/statement with the highest votes will be submitted as our campus tier 1 question when CES is implemented in Fall 2018. Balloting will end on Friday, April 7th.
If you want to learn more about CES and why we are requesting your input, see our February 27, 2017 post on this topic.
Below is the text of the email you will receive on April 3rd. The ballot questions follow.
The Faculty Senate Ad-Hoc Committee on the Course Evaluation System would like your feedback on selecting one Tier I campus-level question for the new online UH Course Evaluation System. Tier I questions are standard questions that will be distributed to all Leeward CC students enrolled in credit-based courses. Tiers 2 and 3 are for division and program-level questions and Leeward has decided that the use of these tiers will be determined by individual divisions/programs. Individual faculty members will decide Tier 4 questions.
The new Course Evaluation System (CES) will be electronically delivered to all students enrolled in your course. There is no opt-out choice. Details still remain to be decided regarding the sharing of aggregate results, but the results will be shared with your division chair.
After gathering feedback from the March 6th faculty forum and online survey, the ad-hoc committee is seeking faculty input on the following two items:
Which of the following Tier 1 campus level questions/statements do you prefer? (choose one)
- How would you rate the overall quality of this course? (Very poor, Poor, Average, Good, Excellent)
- How would you rate the overall effectiveness of this course? (Very poor, Poor, Average, Good, Excellent)
- This course helped me advance my educational goals. (Strongly disagree, Disagree, Neutral, Agree, Strongly Agree)
Should we include the following open-ended statement as an additional Tier I campus level question? (yes or no)
- Other comments:
- Yes, this question should be asked of all students.
- No, this question should be asked at the discretion of the division or individual faculty member.
- Other comments:
Ad-Hoc CES Committee
- Kelsie Aguilera
- Jeremiah Boydstun
- Michael Oishi
- Wayde Oshiro, co-chair
- Catherine Walker, co-chair
- Irwin Yamamoto