Leeward Faculty and Lecturers,
The new Course Evaluation System (CES) will be rolled out Fall 2018. CES surveys will be automatically distributed to all students enrolled in credit-based courses. Unlike eCafe, CES is mandatory.
See a February 27, 2017, blog post for background on CES and Leeward’s implementation plan.
The Ad Hoc Committee on the Course Evaluation System will distribute an online ballot to all faculty and lecturers on November 13th. The ballot will ask faculty to vote on three items:
- a common campus question;
- an open-ended comment field; and the
- sharing of survey results with division chairs.
The ballot language will be as follows:
- One of the following three multiple-choice questions/statements will be a campus-level questions on all course evaluations. Please choose one of the following:
- How would you rate the overall quality of this course? Very poor, Poor, Average, Good, Excellent
- How would you rate the overal effectiveness of this course? Very poor, Poor, Average, Good, Excellent
- This course helped advance my educational goals. Very poor, Poor, Average, Good, Excellent
- Should the open-ended question, “Other comments,” be included as a campus-level question on all course evaluations?
- No results will be shared directly with administrators. The campus will determine if the Division Chair will see the results for faculty within their division. Please choose one of the following options:
- All results will be shared with each Division Chair.
- Results for non-tenured faculty only will be shared with the Division Chair.
- Each division may decide to share results with the Division Chair.
- No results will be shared with the Division Chair.
The voting period will be November 13-17th. The ad hoc committee will report the results to Faculty Senate at its December 6th meeting. Please refer any questions to any committee member below.
- Kelsie Aguilera
- Jeremiah Boydstun
- Michael Oishi
- Wayde Oshiro, co-chair
- Catherine Walker, co-chair
- Irwin Yamamoto