The Ad Hoc Committee on the Course Evaluation System distributed an online ballot to all faculty and lecturers on November 13th. The voting period was November 13-17, 2017. The ballot asked faculty to vote on three items:
- a common campus question;
- an open-ended comment field; and the
- sharing of survey results with division chairs.
A total of 108 responses were received.
One of the following three multiple-choice questions/statements will be a campus-level question on all course evaluations. Please choose one of the following:
- How would you rate the overall quality of this course? Very poor, Poor, Average, Good, Excellent 63.89% or 69 votes
- How would you rate the overall effectiveness of this course? Very poor, Poor, Average, Good, Excellent 19.44% or 21 votes
- This course helped advance my educational goals. Very poor, Poor, Average, Good, Excellent 16.67% or 18 votes
Should the open-ended question, “Other comments,” be included as a campus-level question on all course evaluations?
- Yes 75.93% or 82 votes
- No 24.07% or 26 votes
No results will be shared directly with administrators. The campus will determine if the Division Chair will see the results for faculty within their division. Please choose one of the following options:
- All results will be shared with each Division Chair. 36.11% or 39 votes
- Results for non-tenured faculty only will be shared with the Division Chair. 7.41% or 8 votes
- Each division may decide to share results with the Division Chair. 32.41% or 35 votes
- No results will be shared with the Division Chair. 24.07% or 26 votes
Since none of the sharing options received a majority of the votes and the sample size was small, the Ad Hoc Committee on the Course Evaluation System is giving the decision on the sharing option to the divisions.
Each division will decide one of the following options:
- The Division Chair will see the results for all faculty within the division.
- The Division Chair will see the results for non-tenured faculty within the division.
- No results will be shared with the Division Chair.
Recommendations for divisions:
- Hold an open discussion at Division Meetings.
- An anonymous vote is strongly recommended.
Divisions will report their decision to the CES Committee by January 19, 2018.
Next Steps for the Committee
The Ad Hoc Committee on the Course Evaluation System
- Will work with the designated CES campus administrator to prepare for the CES launch in Fall 2018;
- Will create a central repository for existing survey questions and make it accessible to faculty; and
- Will share information about the CES platform with faculty and work with the CES campus administrator to plan workshops to assist faculty in using the new platform.