- 1 Aloha!
- 1.1 The Online Learning Orientation @ Leeward CC Finisher badge
- 1.2 Let’s Get Started
- 1.4 I. Are you ready to learn online?
- 1.6 II. Do you know how to use Laulima?
- 1.7 III. Do you know how to be a successful online learner?
- 1.10 IV. Do you have the characteristics of a successful online learner?
- 1.11 Want a Completion Badge?
The Online Learning Orientation @ Leeward CC Finisher badge
DIRECTIONS FOR EARNING A BADGE
1. Watch the Introduction to Online Learning video.
2. Complete the tasks in 1-4 below.
3. Complete the Online Learning Orientation Finisher form to receive your badge.
Let’s Get Started
- First, please watch the short video above.
- Next, complete the tasks in each of the following 4 steps.
I. Are you ready to learn online?
Distance Learning is not for everyone. Distance learning in many cases provides students greater flexibility. As a result, students have more control over their own learning. Successful completion will depend on the individual student’s self-discipline and commitment to the course.
- Click on the Start Here button below and take the survey.
- Review the feedback that is sent to your hawaii.edu email address.
II. Do you know how to use Laulima?
Laulima is the University of Hawaii’s online collaborative learning environment. Laulima provides students with accessibility to course content and communication tools for interaction with the instructor and other students in the course.
A course offered through Laulima can be accessed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week via the Internet (except daily from 3:00 AM – 4:00 AM for server backup and maintenance). Some courses will use Laulima as a supplement to their traditional face-to-face (f2f) or hybrid course. Other courses, including online courses may deliver all of the course material, testing, and communication using Laulima.
- Watch the Laulima orientation video below.
- Click on the Laulima Orientation Activity button and complete the activities AND questions.
- Review the feedback that is sent to your hawaii.edu email address. Save the email for proof to get a badge.
Resource: Laulima Student Guide
III. Do you know how to be a successful online learner?
1. Review the list below. Determine what you need to work on to improve your learning online. Record your answers. You will need them to apply for a badge.
- Personal Support
- Instructional Support
- Get Tech Ready
- Organize for Online Success
- Online Study Skills and Managing Time
- Communication Skills for Online Learning
- Online Reading Strategies
- Educational Planning
- Financial Planning
- Career Planning
IV. Do you have the characteristics of a successful online learner?
1. Review the list below. Determine what characteristics you need to work on to improve your learning online. Record your answers. You will need them to apply for a badge.
- Is a Self-Directed Learner
- Develops Self-Discipline
- Balances Responsibilities & Set Priorities
- Manages Stress
- Understands Requirements & Expectations
- Is Proactive
- Is an “Active Learner”
- Sets Goals
- Asks for What is Needed
- Practices Netiquette
- Responds. Doen’t React.
- Shares Information and Support
- Uses online Resources
- Uses Online Library Services
- Uses Online Databases
- Uses Web Search Engines
- Critically Assesses Information
- Fair Use of Copyrighted Resources
- Doesn’t Cheat and Plagiarize
- Uses Correct Attribution & Style Guides
- Develops Good Study Habits & Skills
- Manages Time Wisely
- Makes a Time Commitment To The Online Course
Want a Completion Badge?
- Click on the button below.
- Complete and submit your request for a badge.
Leeward CC Distance Resources
- My UH
- Laulima Login
- Help Desk
- Test Center
- Students with Disabilities
- Frequently Asked Questions
Distance Learning Guides