Discussion forums are one of the most used platforms for online communication and community development. A discussion forum is primarily a text-based mode of communication where someone will post a start to a threaded message and people will respond to that thread. Often, many threads can be going at the same time, with longer-lasting discussions. The design and structure of discussions with guidelines or “rules of the road” are a critical part of an online facilitator’s role.
In this four week online workshop you will plan and develop asynchronous discussion forums, that are managed in ways that create high levels of online learning.
This online workshop takes place in Laulima using the Laulima Forums tool.
- Create an introductory discussion
- Create encouraging courteous discussions
- Create a divergent question, from your course/assignment learning objectives, that asks learners to explore, and analyze, synthesize or evaluate knowledge, and project, or predict different outcomes.
- Create an evaluative question, from your course/assignment learning objectives, that asks learners to reflect.
- Create a plan for a peer review discussion.
- Create a discussion strategy that helps learners meet your course or assignment objectives.
- Create a strategy for facilitating online discussions
- Create a strategy for summarizing discussions.