December 1, 2014
by Wayde Oshiro
The Library is excited to announce that a new online video collection is now available to all Leeward CC students, faculty, and staff, on-campus and off-campus.
Ethnographic Video Online: Volume III, Indigenous Voices is a collection of nearly 200 documentaries, primary source footage, and feature films from Hawaii, Oceania, Australia, New Zealand, the Americas, Africa, and Asia.
According to the provider, Alexander Street Press,
Volume III complements the preceding volumes by expanding the geographic coverage of the series into Oceania, Australia, and New Zealand, as well as offering indigenous perspectives and voices historically left out of traditional anthropological study. The implicit “us versus them” construct of classical anthropological models is being complicated by cultural and social observations, descriptions, analyses, and works by indigenous scholars, writers, artists, filmmakers, and other commentators who are challenging earlier representations, most of which were by outsiders. The role of the traditional ethnographer is changing, and Volume III is the only academic collection in the world to offer a comprehensive resource of documentaries, feature films, and shorts made by (and often for) indigenous people who allow us inside their world view, interpret their history, and analyze their culture.
Notable titles in this collection include
- The Land Has Eyes and Moana: Rising of the Sea by Vilsoni Hereniko
- Act of War: The Overthrow of the Hawaiian Nation
- Keepers of the Flame: The Legacy of Three Hawaiian Women and Words, Earth & Aloha: The Sources of Hawaiian Music by Eddie and Myrna Kamae
Key features of the online streaming platform
- Search content by cultural group, place, ethnographer, primary or secondary source,
- Create playlists and clips for embedding in LMS
- Complete transcripts available, and more
For more info and a complete title list click here. Leeward has access to Volume III titles only.
To access Ethnographic Video Online: Volume III from the Leeward CC Library website go to
- Select the Research Tools button
- Scroll down to Subscribed Online Resources
- Select Ethnographic Video Online: Volume III, Indigenous Voices
Contact Wayde Oshiro, x378, for additional resource info.
Contact Ralph Toyama, x682, for technical issues and troubleshooting.