As part of our National Library Week 2018 celebration, the library staff hosted “STUDENTS Lead Our Library” Thursday, April 12th, 12:00 p.m. The purpose of this event was to gather live feedback from students on how to improve library services. Genesee Greco, library student worker, and An Hollowell, public services specialist, had a discussion with 8 student patrons who use the library regularly.
Overall, the students agreed that the library staff are easily approachable, put in their best effort to help, and are festive with the library displays. Library hours, computers, furniture, and study spaces were mentioned frequently during the discussion.
- The students said they understood that we are a small campus/community college, not a 4-year university, and it was not necessary for us to have longer hours.
- They were happy when we started extending hours until 8:00 p.m., Fall 2017. They said the 7:00 p.m. closings last year were too early.
- We currently close at 4:30 p.m. on Fridays. A few students suggested we extend our Friday hours until 6:00 p.m. to allow them to use and return our laptops during Friday evening classes.
- There are not enough PC/Windows computers.
- One student asked if we could add more Mac computers.
- The students feel sorry for the seniors who have to stand at our public access stations and suggested that the whole section/wall be designated for public access.
- All the students agreed we need another computer lab on campus.
- One student suggested opening up the MathLab as a campus computer lab.
Furniture & Study Spaces
- The students like the layout of the Learning Commons. The office-style desk space provides them room to spread out.
- The computer carrels in the 3rd floor library area are too small and do not provide enough work space. They suggested we replace them with desks similar to the office-style computer stations in the Learning Commons.
- There are not enough tables and work space.
- We need more bean bag chairs throughout the library!
Participants were offered pizza at the end of the session.
If you would like to provide feedback on our library services, please fill out our library survey. Our survey ends Sunday, April 22nd.