Leeward continues to lead the system with OER and zero-textbook cost courses this Fall.
Total student enrollment in the 289 Textbook Cost: $0 courses is 5,371. Ninety-two instructors are teaching Textbook Cost: $0 courses this semester. Direct cost savings to students for Fall 2017 is $512,630. Average savings per enrolled student is $95.
Since 2014, Leeward faculty making the leap from commercial textbooks to OER and zero-cost have saved students an estimated $1,627,749!
Hats off to Leeward faculty for making the tough decision to opt out of the commercial textbook marketplace. Not only have you saved your students $$$, but your actions are having a direct impact on the for-profit textbook publishers and their heretofore unchallenged pricing strategies. This has led to lower price inflation in the textbook market. Competition is a good thing.
For many of you, the time and effort spent converting to OER were not inconsequential. However, your hard work has resulted in great benefits for both you and your students, including:
- Freedom from high costs. OER is zero-cost to students.
- No mandated edition changes. OER gives you full control over the content.
- Materials are customizable according to your specific teaching needs. OER is openly-licensed for you to use.
- No restrictions on access. OER is available to all students from day one and beyond. No time limits.
Want to learn more?
- View a full list of Textbook Cost: $0 courses at https://sites.google.com/a/hawaii.edu/oer/zero-textbook-cost-adopters
- What is OER and how do I get started? Go to http://guides.leeward.hawaii.edu/oer
- What is the goal for OER at Leeward. Go to https://sites.google.com/a/hawaii.edu/oer/home
- What is the OER Campus Committee? Go to https://sites.google.com/a/hawaii.edu/oer/oer-campus-committee
View this infographic online at https://magic.piktochart.com/output/24165646-textbook-cost-0-fall-2017-copy
9/12/17: Infographic updated to use the correct name for the Business division.