I loved the concept of flipped learning, because in a traditional lecturing setting students are passive agents that are waiting for the professor to transmit all her/his knowledge to them, apparently by mere osmosis. On the other hand, flipped learning is an active learning approach where students have to take responsibility of learning of the basic concepts on their own, through materials that the professor provides, and then in-class activities with the classmates and guided by the professor they can reach a higher level of analysis and application of those basic subjects. This approach  is very appealing, because at the end as educators our final goal is that students make and learn the most in our classes.

One of the aha moments I had during this workshop was when I realized that I have been doing some things very inefficiently in my classes and that there are many tools that can help me to improve and simplify my assessments, my presentations and even my class material. For example, I realized that I have been wasting tons of paper in assessments, class activities, syllabi, when all of those may very easily go into Google Sites, or be replaced by on-line assessments. I going to help save the planet by saving all that paper!

I would love to flip the entire content of my classes, but this seems to be a little too ambitious for the upcoming Fall considering all the planning, curating and creation of new material required  for this task. However I plan to start by flipping several of my lessons and eventually flip more. I have already created a flipped lesson for my Evolution Unit which is available here:

https://sites.google.com/a/hawaii.edu/evolution-flipped-lesson/