We kicked off the fall 2018 semester on Monday, August 13 with Tech It Out Day, a free half-day event to explore how technology can enhance teaching and learning in the classroom and online. There were four tracks of four, 30-minute hands-on sessions with about 60 faculty and staff participating. It was also a time to reconnect with each other after the summer break and enjoy some tasty snacks and manapua!
Sessions were facilitated by the EMC Educational Technologists and Leeward CC instructors. Topics included:
- using Google Team Drive for collaboration
- engaging students with reading resources
- augmenting reality
- promoting student engagement with Pear Deck
- creating interactive content for knowledge checks using H5P
- using Zoom for synchronous web conferencing to interact with students online
- using Google Sites for weekly modules and committee websites
- giving video feedback to students through screencasting
- and more!
I participate in tech it out day to see how others are using technology in their classrooms trying to visit those presentations that I think might possibly be useful in my teaching.
I liked the fact that the sessions covered online feedback; in class activity interaction; creating videos for students and creating websites.
I really enjoyed the sessions. The length of the sessions were perfect to get just enough to decide whether you need more assistance. Most of the sessions had a hands-on component that was really helpful. Thank you!
Thank you for having Tech it Out day! It’s really amazing to find out what’s out there to make life easier for people.
Mahalo to our facilitators, participants, and the Leeward Staff Development Funds. We hope you join us at next year’s Tech It Out Day… maybe even as a facilitator! The call for proposals will be emailed in March 2019.