Once a month, the OER Campus Committee will share information about OER to raise awareness, promote, encourage, and support using OER at Leeward CC.
We are launching our first post, today, in the spirit of International Open Access Week (October 23 -29, 2017) to inform the campus about what OER is, why it matters, and what Leeward CC is doing.
What is OER?
Open Educational Resources (OER) are “teaching, learning, and research resources that reside in the public domain or have been released under an intellectual property license that permits their free use and re-purposing by others” (Hewlett Foundation). In other words:
- OER is free to use; no strings attached
- No permission is needed since the creator already grants it through a Creative Commons (CC) license
- You can retain OER indefinitely
- You can choose to modify OER to meet your teaching needs per rights granted by the license
Why does OER matter?
- Saves students money
- 25% of total college costs for Leeward students is for textbooks and supplies
- Half of community college students rely on financial aid to pay textbook costs
- 65% of these students use financial aid to pay for all textbook costs
- Grants access to more choices of materials
- Materials are publicly available for students to access before and after taking a course
- Flexibility to customize or mashup several OER to create custom resources for your students
What is happening at Leeward CC?
Leeward CC supports “Textbook Cost: $0” and using OER. We have an OER Campus Committee, workshops, fellowship program, and more to support using OER at Leeward CC. See the infographic below for information and statistics for “Textbook Cost: $0.”
Our numbers continue to increase regarding “Textbook Cost: $0” courses, students enrolled, subjects, and instructors.
|Fall 15||Spr 16||Fall 16||Spr 17||Fall 17|
|“Textbook Cost: $0” CRN (sections) (% of all CRNs)||55||148||217 (19%)||279 (23%)||289 (27%)|
|Students enrolled in “Textbook Cost: $0” classes||—||2643||4194||5121||5371|
|“Textbook Cost: $0” different subjects||12||63||69||111||91|
|“Textbook Cost: $0” instructors||16||49||71||91||92|
How can you get involved?
Be a part of this initiative to “Go Open, Go Free at Leeward CC” and use “Textbook Cost: $0” and/or OER materials in your classes. Contact the Library or EMC to get started. Also, visit our OER website for more information.