Week 0: Get Prepared

9/4 Note: We are currently having difficulties with Edublogs blogs feeding to this Edublog site :0). We are working on a solution. Thank you for your patience.

Welcome to How To Teach Online 2013, a massive, open, online course (MOOC). Here are some key details to help you get started this week, and prepared for next week. We look forward to connecting, learning, and building our community together.

Your tomooc Facilitators

Get Prepared Here!
Week 0 Activities 

Aloha Discussion
  1. What is your intention for this course (why are you here)?
  2. What issues do you think are important?
  3. How will contribute?
  4. How would you like to see community develop among participants?
  5. These types of courses are new for most people. In fact about 90% don’t even participate. How will you overcome the fear of learning in the open and the frustration of using new technology? How do you plan to courageously work through any setbacks, and not give up?
Webinar Session Reccordings

3 thoughts on “Week 0: Get Prepared

1. I already have a successful online local news source, using Joomla, but I want to learn more about how to create an online course in journalism and photography. Keeping us informed about how to use new technology is important. Yes, I can do Joomla and I can do Facebook, even though I don’t like it, but WordPress on Edublogs.org has totally bamboozled me. I can’t figure out how to edit, how to post a new post or even where to find the dashboard!!!
    I want to contribute where I can, but I can’t figure out how to develop participation with anyone else.
    I’m obviously laying it out into the open in hopes of HELP! I’m not known for giving up, but I am known for asking questions, but I REALLY want answers!

• Hi Mam,
      You do not have to use a blog if it is to difficult. You can post directly to the Community wall if you press the login button in the upper left corner of this site. Your username and password is your email address before the @ sign. Please change your password after you login. For further instructions in the right column, click on How to Post to the “Community Wall” under resources. To participate click on the post title of the blog posts that show up on this page. To reply to the community wall posts just press reply in the post. You need to be logged in. This week is intentionally set aside to work out all the inevitable tech problems. Thank you for your patience.
      Greg

2. Thanks for your help. I’ve created two blogs, actually. One on edublogs http://mammurphy.edublogs.org/and one on blogger at blogger.com/MAMlearninginMOOCteachonline . It’s the getting them to show up somewhere pertinent to this course that is giving me fits!!! I put the tomooc label in the blogger one, but I still haven’t seen it anywhere in the thread. I just added the tomooc category to the edublog one, so am hoping that my items start showing up somewhere as part of this course. BTW, I’m not known for my patience. 🙁 Thanks, MAM