We received a suggestion in our suggestion box to share that Google Docs is a great free alternative to Microsoft Word. This is a collaborative post with the EMC and ITG Help Desk.
With our Google@UH G Suite accounts, we (including students) have access to free Google apps including, Google Docs, which you can use as an alternative to Microsoft Word. A few of the added benefits of Google Docs are:
- It lives online so you can access it from anywhere you have Internet connection.
- You can share and collaborate on docs with other users.
- If you need your Google Doc as a Word doc, it has the ability to download as a Word doc and other formats such as PDF and RTF.
Try it today with your Google@UH account by going to https://docs.google.com/a/hawaii.edu.
If you’re a fan of Microsoft Office, the campus has a license agreement with Microsoft where the ITG Help Desk can provide one copy of MS Office for home usage based on the following rules:
- A Full-time Faculty or Staff can borrow a copy of MS Office by signing an agreement form at Helpdesk
- A DVD containing the installation is given to complete the installation at home and must be returned within 24hrs.
- The version and platform should be the same as the one installed at your office computer; for example, Windows / Office 2016 at your office to Windows (not Mac) / Office 2016 at home.
- Upon leaving campus employment, the software must be uninstalled.
Please contact or see the ITG Help Desk to sign the agreement form. Office: LC 101. Phone: 455-0271. Email: email@example.com.
Alternatively, if you’re a teacher or student, you can download MS Office 365 (which includes Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and more) online for free at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/education/products/office/default.aspx.